We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal Day Trip Plan - Additional suggestions

Sparks, Nevada
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
Akumal Day Trip Plan - Additional suggestions
Save

Hello,

We are a A Group of 4 adults leaving for Mexico tomorrow and we made a last minute change to one of our day trips and we have decided on Akumal. My husband and I are familiar with the area, and rented a golf cart snorkeled Akumal bay and Yal-kul but its been about 8 years ago.

1, Akumal Dive Shop in the AM - Snorkel tour (friend has not seen turtles in the ocean before)

2. Rent Golf Cart

3. Stop at half moon bay either near La Buena Vida or La Lunita for a snorkel. (note: we have never snorkeled this location before my understanding is to do this only if its calm. any advice here is appreciated, we have different levels of swimmers (safety 1st)

4. Yal-Kul Lagoon - I have been several times but my friends have never been.

We also will plan to stop for drinks and food as we go along. other than the obvious beach bars (Loha, La Buena Vida, are there any hidden beach bars ect we should stop at? Also any advice on the above is greatly appreciated.

Edited: May 10, 2021, 5:06 am
7 replies to this topic
Sparks, Nevada
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Akumal Day Trip Plan - Additional suggestions
Save

Hello, I have an additional question to the above: I have read a few threads and it sounds like there are some issues at the Akumal Bay arches/entrance people indicate they are getting hassled. Is it Vendors trying to sell tours? If we have a cab drops at Akumal Dive shop can we avoid this? We want to cut thru any BS and just go to them for a snorkel tour.

Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
209 reviews
115 helpful votes
2. Re: Akumal Day Trip Plan - Additional suggestions
Save

It's no different than when you arrive at CUN and are exiting....you ignore the time share and tour touts. Just walk through the arches to the dive shop just past Lol Ha or go to the one on the right by the road. There's no need to engage all the " salesmen".

Edited: May 10, 2021, 7:52 am
Comox Valley, Canada
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
209 reviews
115 helpful votes
3. Re: Akumal Day Trip Plan - Additional suggestions
Save

To add, you will not recognize the place with the changes since your last visit! Eg: the sea cans with razor wire on top blocking beach access!

The HMB side is the same though. Haven't been to Yal Ku for a long time so can't tell you what that's like. It was free last time we were there.... not no more! There were several tour buses parked when we walked past last trip so be prepared for a shared experience. LBV is as great as ever. You can pop in the water just down in front there or try the north end of the bay near La Lunita.

Sparks, Nevada
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Akumal Day Trip Plan - Additional suggestions
Save

Thank you! I was actually at yal-ku last November, but with a tour thing from the hotel. We did not go to akumal bay.. It was super nice and they did alot of nice things to it since my previous visit! Thanks for the additional info!!!!!

Edited: May 10, 2021, 8:40 am
Chilliwack, Canada
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
51,955 posts
5. Re: Akumal Day Trip Plan - Additional suggestions
Save

been to all these places MANY times

For snorkeling HMB, there is the best entry by La Lunita.

Check (for wind) https://www.windguru.cz/85080

Best times are around 10 knots or under (at HMB)

Sparks, Nevada
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
6. Re: Akumal Day Trip Plan - Additional suggestions
Save

Thank you! I'm hoping for low wind! Would love to snorkel HMB!

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
7. Re: Akumal Day Trip Plan - Additional suggestions
Save

This one is highly recommended.

https://www.akumaldivecenter.com/

Reply to: Akumal Day Trip Plan - Additional suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.