We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is diving in Akumal with it?

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
Is diving in Akumal with it?
Save

Hello!

I will be staying at Akumal Bay Beach and Wellness Resort in early December for two weeks. Well, I hope so, Mr. Trudeau, lol! Years ago, I got my Open Water in Koh Tao, Thailand and then went diving in Koh Phi Phi and the Great Barrier Reef. I was spoiled with the underwater world early!

PADI can’t find my certification, which is fine as I would like to learn scuba fully now. I am thinking of doing my Open Water with Akumal Dive Shop, which a five star IDC centre. However, I am wondering if I should just stick to snorkelling and do my Open Water at a later date in Cozumel, Playa, Cancun or even Los Cabos? Akumal’s reef is so shallow and turtles surface, so snorkelling sounds great!

On the other hand, I have two weeks at a resort, which is a first for me. Diving is really accessible from ABBWR.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

21 replies to this topic
Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
592 posts
62 reviews
91 helpful votes
1. Re: Is diving in Akumal with it?
Save

What you do is your choice of course, but I’ll toss my opinion in. The snorkelling is pretty good. It is quite easy from ABBWR. I almost always start in front of building 3 and follow the buoy line out to the reef, turn south and come back in front of building four. Most people snorkel to the north and it can get crowded. There are lots of roped areas, but it’s still decent. Depending on wind, the visibility an be pretty good to murky.

I got PADI certified on Roatan a few years ago. The diving there is tops (as is the snorkelling), and it’s easy with no current. The diving from Akumal is kinda meh in my opinion, but if your there for two weeks, you could easily knock it out. Being so shallow and usually calm, it will be a great place to practice your skills too. It’s a good time of the year to do it as it should be pretty quiet then. If you have a trip to Coz planned, you’ll have better diving there and many ops to choose from.

We are considering the week of December 10 ourselves. As you state, Trudeau has us on hold presently and nothing being said about travel at present. But for $1169 CAD?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
34,105 posts
2 reviews
13 helpful votes
2. Re: Is diving in Akumal with it?
Save

I would do it in Akumal since you have the time. You can do the coursework at home. Actually you can do everything at home then get a referral to do the dives in Akumal. Then see if you can do a day of diving in Cozumel.

Did you get your Open Water certification and dive card before...or just resort course type diving?

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
592 posts
62 reviews
91 helpful votes
3. Re: Is diving in Akumal with it?
Save

+1 on doing as much as you can before you go. I studied the manual extensively and taught myself how to calculate dive tables. I only had a week and it allowed me to enjoy the vacation as well as get certified.

Creighton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
74 reviews
157 helpful votes
4. Re: Is diving in Akumal with it?
Save

Do all your PADI bookwork online prior to your trip. Print out your results and bring it with you to the Dive Shop of your choice.

If you can get your 2 pools sessions done in Canada, do that as well. Otherwise you will have to complete them, as well as 4 dives to get certified.

We did ours at a resort (Bahia Principe). Day 1 - Pool Session 1 a.m. - 1st Dive p.m. Day 2 - Pool Session 2 a.m. - 2nd dive p.m. Day - 3rd dive a.m. - 4th dive p.m.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Is diving in Akumal with it?
Save

I would go for it! As was already mentioned, do all your book work, quizzes, final exam and confined water dives at home. Then take a referral letter with you to Mexico to do your open water dives. It will only be 2 days to do your open water dives and then you can dive. https://blog.padi.com/2020/02/19/padi-open-water-referral/

The Akumal Dive Shop is a good highly recommended dive shop.

Edited: May 01, 2021, 5:23 am
North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
6. Re: Is diving in Akumal with it?
Save

Thank you! Gracias! Merci!

Well, I am so grateful for all of your advice! I just love the ocean community! Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that I intend to do the coursework online. How smart of PADI to offer this now. Akumal Dive Shop is even discounting this part, the entire course and one-on-one instruction for me! Now that is good service.

I really dislike pools and the “toilety” water, so I would probably do the confined portion in Akumal Bay.

David and Jan, what a cool steam train! Thank you kindly for your precise snorkelling advice! This is priceless for me. Perhaps I will see your snorkels where the turtles are. Feel free to PM me. It would great to meet up with fellow ocean lovers in December. Mind you, I guess everyone that stays at ABBWR has webbed feet. You live in Ontario, which means Roatan and Cozumel, and everywhere are very easy to get to from Toronto. Well, used to be! I did a search late last night. Vancouver to Roatan and Cozumel is a layover red eye from Toronto. Cancun is a a direct flight from here. Building 3. Penthouse to beach in 5 minutes! The price you quote ... is from Toronto! Much more from here. Oh well, we have seals! The diving does look rather meh in Akumal, but ...

diving in Cozumel would be incredible! I went snorkelling with a dive group in Cozumel and I was the only one that saw the nurse or was it a reef? shark! Hmm, CO-P, that would be very tempting. I guess it is an Akumal to Playa to Cozumel via ferry kind of thing? Yes, I did receive my Open Water from Koh Tao. But I think I didn’t send in my registration. Flavius, the famous Dutchman, was my instructor. No worries. I was not a natural, let’s put it that way! I need to learn it again.

Bat, thanks! Yeah, that’s what ADS said I would need to do. It is a lot to do in a few days. Too bad Vancouver has freezing 🥶 cold ocean temps. I really like the idea of learning the concepts thoroughly before I take the plunge, puns, sorry.

Wreck, thanks for your enthusiasm! It really helps! Also, it’s good to hear ADS has a good reputation. I even told them I am rather anxious about diving. They seem very understanding and kind.

There doesn’t seem to be many healthy colourful reefs based on the videos I have seen, compared to Cozumel. But turtles! Just one adult is a miracle of survival!

Okay, I think I am going to go for it!

Thank you again!

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
7. Re: Is diving in Akumal with it?
Save

Oops! Is diving **with** it? I meant, well you know what I meant!

Creighton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
74 reviews
157 helpful votes
8. Re: Is diving in Akumal with it?
Save

Our Dive Instructor has gone out on his own after many, many years with Scubaquatic at the Bahia Resorts.

He picks us up at the resort, and will take you wherever you want to go, including Cozumel, and Bull Sharks in Playa Del Carmen.

We've done dives south of Akumal at Tankeh Bay. It is night and day between what you see in the Akumal area and what you see in Tankeh Bay.

PM me on TA me if you want his WhatsApp information.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
9. Re: Is diving in Akumal with it?
Save

Bat, thank you! I will PM you for his info. I looked up Tankah Bay. It looks idyllic and found the “Snorkelling Report” site. It’s great that your dive instructor picks you up and takes you to wherever you wish to go. The Akumal Dive Shop says they can’t pick me up due to a taxi union. It’s not far, but it still is a hassle. The Akumal Dive Center is on the resort, but it isn’t a five star IDC PADI centre.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
10. Re: Is diving in Akumal with it?
Save

@ Oceanblue, I'm a Divemaster and the PADI 5 star IDC center is a bought and paid for designation, it doesn't make the dive shop any better or safer than any other dive shop, it's just a marketing tool for PADI. The Akumal Dive Center is one of the top 5 recommended dive shops in the Mayan on Scubaboard. I would do your Open water course with them, especially since they are right there at the resort.

Reply to: Is diving in Akumal with it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.