We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Akumal - Where to buy Data SIM card?

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
5 helpful votes
Secrets Akumal - Where to buy Data SIM card?
Save

We will be staying at Secrets Akumal this summer and are wondering the best place to buy a SIM card for data use. We could buy from Amazon or ebay in advance or the airport on arrival at Cancun.

Do they sell cards at the hotel?

I see there is an Oxxo nearby. Would that be a good place to buy one? Is it walkable from the hotel? My wife is Spanish speaking so that won't be a problem.

Is one card better than another for use there? Telcel, Movistar etc?

TIA

4 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Secrets Akumal - Where to buy Data SIM card?
Save

We have used this service numerous times for our Mexico trips, have never had an issue.

https://www.mexicosimcard.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
33 reviews
26 helpful votes
2. Re: Secrets Akumal - Where to buy Data SIM card?
Save

I have purchased SIM cards at Oxxo before. Only 10 minute walk from the resort on the beach.

You can also ask your transfer to make a quick stop anywhere else on the way to the resort.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
961 posts
3. Re: Secrets Akumal - Where to buy Data SIM card?
Save

I bought my first one at the link reply 1 show (recommended). Bought my 2nd at the very same Oxxo in Akumal.

One thing I'll say for the one I bought at Oxxo - it came pre-setup as Paquete Amigo Sin Límite 50 which had unlimited calls and texts for a week for 50 pesos, but just 400 MB of data. You can change this (I did) but it really helps if you speak Spanish but you'll need to do it at either a Telcel CAC (there's one in PdC) or online with their helpdesk in CDMX. Personally, I prefer lots more data and am ok to pay a la carte for phone calls and texts (which are about 1 peso each - per minute calling or per text). That's the MexicoSimCard advantage. He'll set it up the way you want. The other advantage is you'll have a phone the moment you land which has saved me in the past (lost luggage).

If Spanish isn't a barrier for you and you can go without until you get there, I'd go with Oxxo. It's definitely cheaper. I'd say 10 minutes is if you walk slowly or don't know the way. I think I made it in less than 10 minutes from ABBWR which is further away.

BTW, at Oxxo, they keep them in the case by the cash register so you have to ask for them and they are known as "chips" (pronounced like "cheap") by your spanish-speaking spouse probably knows this already.

I always found Telcel coverage in and around Akumal (and up and down highway 307) excellent although the concrete and rebar buildings can block even the strongest signals.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
586 posts
62 reviews
91 helpful votes
4. Re: Secrets Akumal - Where to buy Data SIM card?
Save

I was in Merida for a month last February and got a Telcel 30 day 4gb sim with unlimited calls and texts (sms) for 200 pesos (10 USD) at OXXO. I didn’t come close to using 4gb and used it constantly.

Edited: March 24, 2021, 7:13 pm
Reply to: Secrets Akumal - Where to buy Data SIM card?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Akumal
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.