We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should travel agents tell us about seaweed

Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Should travel agents tell us about seaweed

Hi folks

Just back from 2 weeks in the riviera.the pure white beach and turquoise sea that i had spent a year dreaming of didnt exist. What i got was a disgusting smelly beach with brown seaweed covered sea and a huge strip of rotting seaweed on the shore. Now i know these things can happen from time to time but as this has been arround for a few month now, surely the travel agents have a duty to tell us. Like most people i work hard and this is the highlight of my year but to be honest i feel ive been ripped off. Me and my wife went with a group of 12 and its unlikely any of us will return. I was just after anyones view on the situation, especially if you have been recently.

3-in-1 Discovery Combo Tour: Tulum...
285 Reviews
from US$109.00*
Free Cancellation
Tulum Ruins with Optional Underground...
64 Reviews
from US$68.99*
Free Cancellation
Tulum Snorkeling Tour from Cancun
57 Reviews
from US$89.00*
Free Cancellation
110 replies to this topic
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,907 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should travel agents tell us about seaweed

How do you know that they knew about it? It has been common knowledge here so why not ask why you did not do adequate research?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should travel agents tell us about seaweed

How can travel agents know every inch of sand in the world? Their job is to get best prices or coordinate and make arrangements for you assuming you have done the research. It amazes me that people don't do this first. If you read you will know it is always a risk at this time of year, tuning into beach Web cams you'd see this, it's called nature. It's like people whinging about weather - they go in storm season (probably cheapest) and then complains it rains? I'm sorry you felt like your holiday was ruined but it's not the agent's fault.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
8,064 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should travel agents tell us about seaweed

I wouldn't expect a travel agent to know the local weather/water patterns of every location they sell trips to. If it was a travel agent that you have worked with before and they happened to know that information I would expect them to tell you. They would want you to have a nice vacation, too, I'm sure.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
8,970 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should travel agents tell us about seaweed

Its such a bummer about your trip, and ideally your travel agent should have been informed, but since you know about tripadvisor and had visited before your trip, you could have done your own research.

Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should travel agents tell us about seaweed

Hi thanks for your replies. Like most people i love to research before i book a holiday. To find the best place i can. I understand the weather is unpredictable but missed all the seaweed issues. I guess you dont realise just how bad it is until you get there. When you come to mexico from the uk the holiday is all about the beach. Looking back on trip advisor now i see people complaining in february and march. I guess i feel a bit let down by the travel agents sending lovely pictures of my upcoming holiday when my dog wouldnt even swim on that beach. They must know what its like they have rep's there. Its good to see other peoples views. I guess im just a bit gutted

New York
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should travel agents tell us about seaweed

How could you miss all the seaweed issues????

There have been about 5 threads on this everyday.

Don't try to make the travel agent a scapegoat.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should travel agents tell us about seaweed

I'd blame a travel agent. Now if I booked online myself, I'd blame myself. A travel agent is supposed to be a travel expert, not just an alternative to booking myself online. A travel agent should know the resorts he/she recommends, that's why they are offered "fam" (familiarization deal) trips to view the property. A travel agent should advise me of any dangers I could encounter as well as if I'm traveling in a known bad weather season. For the entire Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, if a travel agent is unaware of current/past sargassum situation, he/she is not a good agent.

Sorry, all you travel agents out there. Just how I feel. It is part of your job. If I'm a restaurant owner, I know my menu, how everything is prepared, maybe suggest a wine pairing or favorite entree. Sure, some won't have my same taste, but I'd certainly tell my customers if (for example) if something isn't coming good that evening. And if they don't like my recommendation, or the meal is truly bad, I take it off the bill.

By the way, I feel the same way about realtors, insurance brokers, and stock brokers.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,483 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should travel agents tell us about seaweed

Billy703,

Sorry to hear about your individual travel being impacted by mother nature. I am sure that would be a downer, certainly.

You did say something that I must address. As a former Airlines Sales Manager, I have to let you know that travel agents *do not* have reps in the area that could relay weather and Beach conditions back to the individual travel agents. Most travel agents work for small independent businesses with very low margins and there is no way in Haides that they could have Representatives located around the world to advise them to advise their clients where potential natural mother nature events are occurring. That just is not feasible.

Although travel agents may attend destination seminars from time to time I can assure you that the subject of Mother Nature and natural occurring events does not come up at these destination seminars. I guess maybe you could say that the Destination Hotels could potentially advise clients of what's going on directly in front of them weather wise, but I think that is asking an awful lot. However if that occurred everybody would cancel and then they would soon be out of business.

Sam trips are designed to make travel agents familiar with the property, things to do at a destination, things like that. A travel agent can be expected to tell you if a property is mobility challenge to comply and do they have a gymnasium, what about the restaurants those sort of things. Also certainly travel agents are there to make sure you're aware of the proper documentation required for a trip. For example a passport, a Visa, or anything else along those lines. But I really think inquiries about the weather or naturally occurring events might be pushing the envelope a little bit. Whatever happened to personal responsibility?? Especially with the internet these days people can certainly check on those types of things and have an idea what to expect when they get to a destination.

I do agree that especially with today's internet people need to do their own research as to whether or not it is rainy season, hurricane season, or whatever natural occurring phenomenon might be going on at a given destination. Previously I do know that travel agents would advise people that if they are going in low season or High season or shoulder season and what each season entailed, but that was long ago before the days of the internet. Anyway.......

¡Diviértanse!

Edited: June 21, 2018, 8:08 am
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,139 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should travel agents tell us about seaweed

I agree totally with SeaBass on this one. And not to disrespect the travel agents but as said , I would expect them to have up-to-date information and advise on any problems of a Resort they recommend. Had they done any research they would have known of the problems in this area and then investigated the particular Resort before booking.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should travel agents tell us about seaweed

Issue with the seaweed is that some resorts clean it up more diligently than others. Also, it can be horrid one day, none washing up the next day. They cannot tell you what will be there and when it will be there. Some years are bad, some not at all. It's like saying the "travel agent didn't tell me it was rainy season".

Did you ask? Or, did you say find me a nice resort? Or, did you have the resort picked out already and just used the TA to book? The beach can be fabulous! We had NO seaweed a few years ago in May, last year there was none in Sept.

Reply to: Should travel agents tell us about seaweed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Akumal