We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just booked at Bahia Akumal!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Just booked at Bahia Akumal!

Super excited to have finally booked our vacation. Heading to the Akumal next month. Would love some suggestions regarding must do things. Travelling with my husband and 2 kids 8yrs and 12 yrs. So far we have done snorkeling and surfing in Dominican Republic. Husband typically books golf.

So looking for excursion ideas.

Also, my eldest loves tacos, how authentic is the Mexican Restaurant there? Would love to take her for amazing tacos so would consider off the resort and perhaps off the beaten path thoughts on that one if the resort Mexican is meant to appeal more to the tastes of visitors.

In the mean time, just keeping fingers crossed that the saragassum situation is not so terrible that we can't snorkel a little and do some water sports at the resort.

Also... Any one resort must experience thoughts is also appreciated.

First trip to Mexico. So pumped!

Thanks for your ideas!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
10 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just booked at Bahia Akumal!

Whoops! Not "can't snorkel" should be can snorkel.

Edited: June 19, 2018, 9:51 am
Penetang
Level Contributor
262 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just booked at Bahia Akumal!

Good Choice ! Book A La Carte's 2 weeks prior to leaving or first thing on arrival . First night Arlequin or Buffet at Akumal followed by Live music on Patio or Night Show . Next Night Book Don Pablo dress up for Girls and Dancing in Round Bar at Tulum or walk down to Hacienda shops +++. Go to Local Cenotes by Taxi in Am or to Akumal Beach for Breakfast at Lol Ha , walk Turtle Beach and explore Akumal .Tour 4 Resorts of Bahia by shuttle , go to TAO Wellness Centre . Go to Golf club , chip and put for Girls and a few Rounds for Dad with Sian Kaan Lounge drink and Snack [ but adults only] .Tacos on Akumal Patio BBQ Tent at noon , followed with a Swim with the Fish at the Beach or Drink at the SWING Bar . Explore 12 Pools and as many Food selections ~ GET LOST to FIND YOURSELF ~Smiles for the Beautiful for Kindness waits !

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Akumal Beach
Akumal Beach
12,137 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
The Sian Ka'an at Grand Tulum
The Sian Ka'an at Grand...
138 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Penetang
Level Contributor
262 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just booked at Bahia Akumal!

Another adventure would be to go to XEL HA by Taxi [ a few minutes down the road ] good active water day. Or go[ by Taxi ] to La Beuna Vida for lunch , Mexican Beach Food + or Jungle Fish Food on Beach by Taxi [ Great Value and experience . You SEE when you Explore FOOD it is always a surprise and more ~ the true TASTE of Mexico, Very SAFE and stories will be told of this and that , Oh MY and WOW . But you must be 8 or older.

Mentioned in this post
Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha
16,258 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just booked at Bahia Akumal!

Thanks Rod. I am going to make a list of all of your ideas. :)

Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just booked at Bahia Akumal!

Hi. Fantastic hotel. I loved it there. Download the bahia principe app, i used it to book the a'la carte's.

Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just booked at Bahia Akumal!

Tulum bike tour, really got a feel for the local life including authentic taco restaurant. Ocho was a great guide.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
926 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just booked at Bahia Akumal!

Love Rod A's points and have been or tried most. If you want to be more adventurous you could use the Collectivos to go anywhere instead of a taxi. They all stop outside the Hacienda.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,178 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just booked at Bahia Akumal!

Welcome to Akumal

There are a few current threads on local "AUTHENTIC" food off the resort

Read a few threads down

Things to do/excursions

So MANY - read the top tab called "Things to Do"

HappyshoesHappyshoes
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just booked at Bahia Akumal!

We are heading back next month , loved our first time so much just had to go back, it's s beautiful resort, food was amazing , drinks lovely, staff couldn't do enough. I hear sun umbrellas are on the sparce side for some reason, so take a hat. I'm sure you and your family will enjoy.

Edited: June 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just booked at Bahia Akumal!

Thanks so much for all the replies. We are pretty excited to visit Mexico.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Reply to: Just booked at Bahia Akumal!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Akumal