We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with kids if too cold for beach?

Level Contributor
15 posts
Things to do with kids if too cold for beach?
Save

First time trip to Emerald Isle in late Spring. Beaches (whether too cold to actually swim or not) are the main attraction for the kiddos, but I'm wondering if folks can suggest things to do if it's too cold or windy for a beach day, either in Emerald Isle proper, or in surrounding areas. Things I'm thinking about are walking/hiking trails, bike paths, parks, nature/wildlife viewing, and possibly kayaking. We are being cautious with COVID, so we are trying to avoid areas/events that would be crowded (e.g., shopping, tourist traps, etc). We will have a car and would be willing to travel 30+ minutes if need be. Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
12,690 posts
34 reviews
15 helpful votes
1. Re: Things to do with kids if too cold for beach?
Save

Lots to do around that area. Have you checked out www.crystalcoastnc.org ?

You could go to Fort Macon, go to the NC Aquarium, walk around Beaufort. Lots of ideas on that website.

Do note that Cape Lookout Lighthouse is closed for repairs for the next year or two.

Edited: March 28, 2021, 1:15 am
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
12,690 posts
34 reviews
15 helpful votes
2. Re: Things to do with kids if too cold for beach?
Save

More on Cape Lookout:

https://www.facebook.com/CapeLookoutNPS

https://www.nps.gov/calo/

Jonas Ridge, North...
Level Contributor
369 posts
130 reviews
52 helpful votes
3. Re: Things to do with kids if too cold for beach?
Save

Go one way to walk downtown Beaufort or the other to walk Swansboro...both are cute/quaint. Either might be crowded though. Only you will know if its too crowded. I think extremely high of Angie's Lighthouse Cafe for breakfast and lunch. Also the tideland trail at Cedar Point nearby will be almost empty compared to the towns, and is a must do in my humble opinion. I see all kinds of wildlife there. One of my favorite nature images I've made was taken there off the board walk-a great blue heron was eating a saltwater eel.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
20 reviews
18 helpful votes
4. Re: Things to do with kids if too cold for beach?
Save

I think the water will be fine then and the wind, if blowing hard, will probably be from the south and will be warm also. Rainy day options:

There is a bowling alley and arcade across the bridge at Cedar Point where hwys 58 and 24 intersect, can't recall the name of it.

The aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores is nice and fun for small ones. If you want to make a day of it you can go to the park at Fort Macon in Atlantic Beach and also visit Beaufort for the NC Maritime Museum. On your way back stop at the Morehead City waterfront and see the offshore boats arriving with their catches of the day.

Enjoy!

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
29 reviews
22 helpful votes
5. Re: Things to do with kids if too cold for beach?
Save

There is also mini golf both on and off the island. The Golfin Dolphin just across the bridge has several things to do. The mini golf course is nicely spread out.

https://thegolfindolphin.com/attractions-pricing/

There is also Lost Treasure mini golf and go karts in Salter Path.

https://losttreasuregolf.com/miniature-golf-courses/salter-path-mini-golf-course/

Level Contributor
15 posts
6. Re: Things to do with kids if too cold for beach?
Save

Thank you! This looks beautiful! Right up our alley. Do you happen to know if they allow bicycles there? If not, do you happen to know if there are bicycle (not mountain bike - just like a cruiser bike) paths on Emerald Isle or nearby that would be appropriate for kids (e.g., not on the road itself).

Thank you!

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
29 reviews
22 helpful votes
7. Re: Things to do with kids if too cold for beach?
Save

Yes, bikes are allowed.

There is a bicycle path that goes the length of the entire island. It parallels route 58, the main road on the island. Depending on where you are, Ocean Drive (the road closest to the ocean) is a not very busy road that you can safely ride bikes on.

Reply to: Things to do with kids if too cold for beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Emerald Isle
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.