We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I visit Kalbarri after April cyclone?

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
Should I visit Kalbarri after April cyclone?
Save

Hi, I booked two nights at Kalbarri this July school holiday, just read some reports that 70 percent of house have been damaged during the April cyclone, have you been there after 10th April ? Should I go there at all? If not, should I go further to Denham?

Thanks.

6 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
19,351 posts
30 reviews
43 helpful votes
1. Re: Should I visit Kalbarri after April cyclone?
Save

I doubt it. My friends have had to leave town as there is no where to live until their house is rebuilt. Tourists would be the last thing the need traipsing around town while the cleanup etc is still underway.

You can check progress on the towns Facebook notice board where plenty of residents post. https://www.facebook.com/groups/224603137737096/?ref=share

I don't know how much damage was in Shark Bay & Denham - friends said a few roofs were gone. But the Council page will have info

https://www.facebook.com/ShireofSharkBay/

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
9 helpful votes
2. Re: Should I visit Kalbarri after April cyclone?
Save

Please don’t go. The town in the words of a family member who lives there “ looks like a bomb went off”. The locals have much to contend with, they have limited food, limited power and it will take a long time yet to recover. There is still asbestos risks also being addressed and disposed of so not a wise holiday destination at the moment.

The last thing they need are tourists, and the tourists will have a miserable time after they have looked as the disaster.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
25,891 posts
60 reviews
85 helpful votes
3. Re: Should I visit Kalbarri after April cyclone?
Save

We are due to be there in August and I will make contact with the visitor centre and our caravan park beforehand and check that our visit will be okay/welcomed..

https://www.kalbarri.org.au/

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
25,891 posts
60 reviews
85 helpful votes
4. Re: Should I visit Kalbarri after April cyclone?
Save

Just an update. I looked at our caravan park's facebook page (Red Bluff) this morning and they're advising that they were back up and operating as of May 10 and are inviting bookings.

Edited: yesterday, 1:29 pm
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
39 reviews
13 helpful votes
5. Re: Should I visit Kalbarri after April cyclone?
Save

I notice now that some things in the National Park are now open, but several walks are closed still. I'm due to spend a night in Kalbarri on a tour next month.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
16 helpful votes
6. Re: Should I visit Kalbarri after April cyclone?
Save

The general message I’ve been seeing is that they want tourist $$ back ASAP. We are booked to go in July and still intend on going. We will check updates etc and go with low expectations of things being open but happy to support any local businesses that are open.

Reply to: Should I visit Kalbarri after April cyclone?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kalbarri
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.