We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Space port "drive by"

Zaltbommel, The...
Level Contributor
33 posts
341 reviews
Save Topic
Space port "drive by"

We will be in Truth or Consequences on May 7 and 8. I would really like to see the space port but there are no tours to the port on Tuesdays and Wednesdays so we are planning to drive to it ourselves.

I looked up the route from TorC via route 51 and Co road 013 and Co road 39.

My question is:

- is this a good road, we have a rental SVU

- can we see the building of the space port. No need for us to see it very close but just the architecture and placement in the desert.

Later on I saw there's a road to it from the south as well. Is this a better road ? When we drive to Tor C we will pass this road en maybe can drive that way to TorC.

I know the tour is better to do, more to see, but our planning doesn't allow it. We love to drive off the beaten path and are very well prepared when we do that.

Hope you can give me some extra information.

Thanking you in advance, greetings from a cold Holland

Kathy

Mentioned in this post
Truth or Consequences
Truth or Consequences
Sierra County, NM
1 reply
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Space port "drive by"

Spaceport is not open to the public on your own. You must use a tour, as construction is not completed. Parts of the road are paved out to Ennis, but most is gravel. You would not be able to use a rental car as the agencies wouldn't allow driving this type of road.

I don't know if you could see it from this gravel road, I think it is some distance from the road.

Reply to: Space port "drive by"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Truth or Consequences