We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing firewood across border

Florida
Level Contributor
277 posts
Bringing firewood across border

We will be entering Kgalagadi TP at Mata-Mata and were wondering if it is allowed to bring firewood from Namibia into SA. If not, do the shops in the park have wood for sale?

Are there any restrictions regarding bringing meat from Namibia into SA?

Any help regarding those border issues is appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Bringing firewood across border

As far as I know, since 2007, you may bring in up to 25kg meat and 10kg biltong for own consumption. I am not aware that this has changed and we never have any cross border issues when passing through.

Bringing firewood into the park for own use has never been an issue. The Park is arid and thus in any event firewood available in the Park shops are brought in from outside. It is generally available in the Park shops but supply and demand could mean that they might be out of stock on a particular day. They do also sell charcoal and carry essential foodstuffs and general supplies. The shop at Tweerivieren is for instance much bigger and better stocked than Mata Mata which is quite remote.

WK

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
43 helpful votes
2. Re: Bringing firewood across border

To the best of my knowledge, you may not cross any border into South Africa with any kind of untreated wood, and I've had firewood confiscated when crossing into SA from Botswana. However, I think that the customs guys do exercise their discretion and I think some border posts are more relaxed than others. I don't know KTFP personally, so I'll defer to more experienced guys on that side.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Bringing firewood across border

Have subsequently observed from Sanparks website that " no firearms or wood can be cleared at Mata Mata border control. This can only be done at the Rietfontein border" (I.e. Further south). Notwithstanding, it seem firewood clearance is not exactly a priority at MM as I have experienced. But who knows, another official may be on duty who does check.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
9 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Bringing firewood across border

They will confiscate firewood if you try and take it across from Namibia into South Africa at Mata Mata.

I have also had wood confiscated in reverse as well.

Gemma Dry - Discover Namibia Safaris

Florida
Level Contributor
277 posts
5. Re: Bringing firewood across border

Thank you all for your helpful replies. Hopefully the stores in KTP will be stocked with firewoods, because without it, we will be even colder since we will be camping there in early September.

I am planning on bringing warm coats, hats, gloves and a scarf and thermal underwear to keep warm at night and early morning. Any other ideas how to keep warm?

Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
173 reviews
202 helpful votes
6. Re: Bringing firewood across border

Hi KaliCA, we both bought a Merino Wool Neck Buff before our first holiday in Africa. They are fantastic, so warm. lightweight and you can adjust it different ways. We use them a lot at home and on holiday. C

Reply to: Bringing firewood across border
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Balule Nature Reserve
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.