We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chaco Canyon camping on Memorial Day weekend?

Wickett, TX
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Chaco Canyon camping on Memorial Day weekend?

Is it possible to get a tent site in the Chaco Canyon campground on Memorial Day weekend? We are picking up our daughter in Moab that weekend and then heading back to Texas and needed a place to camp on the way back. Plus I've never seen Chaco Canyon. If the park campsite is full, is there BLM land area close where we can camp?

4 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chaco Canyon camping on Memorial Day weekend?

Chaco is first come, first served on their campground, so the earlier in the day you arrive, the better. I would guess that Memorial Day weekend will be quite busy for the park.

The closest campgrounds that I know of would be near Bloomfield/Aztec, or there might be one in Cuba, NM.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chaco Canyon camping on Memorial Day weekend?

There are no closeby camping options. Memorial Day weekend will be busy and full

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chaco Canyon camping on Memorial Day weekend?

I camped at Chaco on a holiday weekend (not Memorial Day, though). While I could still get a cell signal on the highway west of Albuquerque, I phoned the park; and the helpful ranger checked with the campground host on availability--so I knew that I'd almost certainly get a site. (I'd really hate to drive all the way in to find the campground full.) So you might try phoning at the last possible opportunity--of course, it won't guarantee a site but you'd have a good idea of current occupancy. The campground host when I was there said he'd never had to turn anyone away, but he wasn't the host during the Memorial Day holiday.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Chaco Canyon camping on Memorial Day weekend?

There are some other more-or-less nearby options (closer than Cuba and Aztec, at least), per this document on the Park Service's Chaco website:

nps.gov/chcu/…Alternative-Camping-2013.pdf

I have not used any of these options, however, and can't personally vouch for them.

Reply to: Chaco Canyon camping on Memorial Day weekend?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Farmington