We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does “fancy” mean to you?

Philly
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
What does “fancy” mean to you?

This word is overused in many Las Vegas thread topics and replies, and it’s meaning could vary from person to person. I would prefer posters to use “costly” as it seems that is how it is most commonly used. Or perhaps “upscale” or “high end”.... I have been to many so called “fancy” places that were cheap , and modest ..

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,706 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,212 Reviews
from US$139.99*
US$224.90
Grand Canyon 4-in-1 Helicopter Tour
927 Reviews
from US$598.99*
53 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7,507 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What does “fancy” mean to you?

I fancy new clothes. I fancy certain drinks. I fancy your post. It means "like".

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
45,448 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What does “fancy” mean to you?

As far as a hotel goes, fancy means 5 star, and not a normal room. It may seem silly when compared to other venues, but hotels such as Wynn, Cosmo, Palazzo, etc. are the norm in Las Vegas.

As for breakfast buffets, I have always used smoked salmon as the divider between economy buffets and the better ones. Not complicated, at $20 lb you won't find it at economy buffets.

As for nicer restaurants. Fancy is a restaurant where I would need a reservation. As a general rule casual restaurants don't accept them.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What does “fancy” mean to you?

Somewhere I have to put a tie on to go in.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What does “fancy” mean to you?

First woman: My man is like Drambuie when we're in bed.

Second woman: Drambuie? Ain't that some kind of fancy liquor?

First woman (nodding and grinning) : Sure is, honey!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
15,685 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What does “fancy” mean to you?

It's another of those relative words that don't help without some extra context.

For someone who's finest dining has been at the local Golden Corral, they'd probably say the MGM Grand buffet was fancy.

I remember someone recently going on and on about how great Circus Circus was, then when challenged eventually let it slip that she'd never stayed in a hotel before.

But to answer the OP question, I'd use "fancy" to mean "elaborate."

Boston...
Level Contributor
432 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What does “fancy” mean to you?

Most of the time I see fancy, it's being used as a disqualifier: "I don't need a fancy hotel" or "steakhouse recommendations, not too fancy" or "wearing a tie and long pants is for fancy people."

Michigan
Level Contributor
8,181 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What does “fancy” mean to you?

A tuff question to answer I suppose if the only place you ever ate out was Denny's and you went to an Applebee's for the 1st time you may deem that as fancy.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What does “fancy” mean to you?

For me fancy would be a place that requires you to dress up. But our friends from across the pond use the word fancy in other ways such as "I fancy having a gamble" instead of "I would like to gamble."

Midwest
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What does “fancy” mean to you?

Iggy

UK
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What does “fancy” mean to you?

If the waiters are rude and look down on you - then your in a fancy resturant. And one meal is what you normally pay for a weeks food - for 4! If the menu has prices on at all.

Edited: May 07, 2018, 11:11 pm
Reply to: What does “fancy” mean to you?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted