We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April/May 2021 Trip Report

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
April/May 2021 Trip Report
Save

Here goes. Today is day 18 of our 18 day visit to Sayulita. We have visited every year since my daughter was 4 years old. We celebrated her 19th birthday on this trip. Today she and I both cried a little at the thought of going home. The only saving grace is that we plan to return again October/Novemberish.

This year we rented Casa Puesta Del Sol (wwwsayulitalife.com/puesta)...a sprawling 3 level, 4 bedroom, ocean front home North of the river. The house is amazing (very secure) and we all agreed we need to rent it again. The sound of the waves crashing on the beach is a game changer. My only complaint would be that there are lots of stairs. It's 1 flights to get from the driveway to the pool level, 2 flights to get from the pool to the main level and then a slightly sketchy ascent up a rusty spiral staircase to get to the upper suite (we had to carry our little dog up the last part). The good news is that my partner and I stayed in the upper suite so we were guaranteed some required privacy during this trip - that never happens. It does get very sunny/warm in the top bedroom late afternoon though which rules out the prescribed 4PM siesta/booze snooze. But the amazing sunsets totally make up for it. The internet had a clear signal throughout the house and the water pressure was fine in the 2 lower level showers. Of course it had all the trappings of a Sayulita vacation home....a million light switches - some of which are located in bizarre places or don't seem to control anything at all (there is a helpful diagram painted on the pool level interior wall - this should become the standard everywhere), Ants...I've never rented here and not killed thousands/millions of ants and a complete lack of water pressure in the 3rd floor suite. No biggee. 2 of my daughter's friends rented the 2 bedroom apartment at https://www.sayulitalife.com/libreria-apt The apartment was inexpensive, centrally located, provides free coffee at the bookstore below AND is owned by the nicest people (Ed and Nancy). I would recommend this apartment to anyone traveling on a budget.

Food. As always, we pretty much ate and drank our way through Sayulita. We got BBQ'd chicken to go from Yolanda's Chicken multiple times. She's located 1/2 a block up from Swing Bar/Attico. 1 whole cut up chicken, sauce, tortillas, rice and cole slaw for the amazing price of $170MEX. Get there early because she closes as soon as she sells all her chicken. A lot of locals were swinging by on their way home from work. The chicken is also delicious cold. We don't usually eat until after 8PM - the heat just sucks the appetite right out of you. Cold chicken and cole slaw for dinner was a hit. My new bar find (thanks Harry) is La Isla Beach Club. You can either enter from the beach just North of the River or walk through Junto Al Rio off Avenido Del Palmar. Attico (swing bar) was the spot for nightly live music and drunken antics. The spicy lime margarita with mezcal was my favorite. The young adults liked Cocos because they have pool and fuseball tables. Ayeilah's Wings was also another favorite for dinner (sit outside)...right next to Coco's.

Jewelry - we all bought some AMAZING , one of a kind jewelry from a few vendors on Palmar just North of the river (outside of the "hippy market").

Spa Day - no review would be complete without a shameless plug for Bliss Day Spa at La Patrona Polo Club in San Pancho. We spent 2 full days there. GIANT salt water infinity pool on the beach, a delicious lunch and pampering at Bliss was great. Massages, mani/pedi, facials, hair, microneedling with collagen...next time I'm going to also get my brows micro bladed.

My daughter's 19th b-day consisted of a day at Playa Los Muertos followed by dinner for 7 at Don Pedro's. We've had some of the same waiters serving us at Don Pedro's since Alison was 4 and it never disappoints. Even my mother loves it there.

We still didn't make ziplining. Some day! These days just flew by.

19 replies to this topic
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
15,806 posts
33 reviews
26 helpful votes
1. Re: April/May 2021 Trip Report
Save

It all sounds glorious, safe travels home.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
7,745 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: April/May 2021 Trip Report
Save

Thanks for taking the time to report.

4pm siesta/booze snooze. Love it

Sayulita
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
34 reviews
24 helpful votes
3. Re: April/May 2021 Trip Report
Save

A terrific trip report as always, with some great tips. Glad you discovered La Isla. It's different each day, sometimes super chill with quiet beachy playlist and other days a too loud DJ but it's one of my fave places to hang out. And the food is phenomenal!

Flower Mound, Texas
Level Contributor
119 posts
4. Re: April/May 2021 Trip Report
Save

Thanks for the report! I’ve saved your suggestions or the spa( my wife would love that), Don Pedro’s and La Isla beach bar. Also looking forward to wandering around the market!

Saint Louis...
4 posts
5. Re: April/May 2021 Trip Report
Save

An 18 day visit sounds amazing!! We are going a week from tomorrow for only 7 days, and I’m already dreading it being over!

Thank you for the recommendations! All really helpful as always!

Issaquah, Washington
Level Contributor
34 posts
6. Re: April/May 2021 Trip Report
Save

Sounds like another great trip Yolanda! You guys vacation pretty similarly to us...we LOVE Yolanda’s for chicken at least a couple times as well as Aaliyah’s. We even hit up

Coco’s in December to watch a Seahawks game (and play pool and foosball with our 7year old). Our favorite place is still Mary’s...best shrimp tacos ever.

Quick question for you...how did you do the COVID testing and how much was it? We head down next month and trying to figure out that piece. Really hoping we can just show our vaccination card, but not holding my breath that is going to happen.

Thanks in advance for any insight you have.

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
7. Re: April/May 2021 Trip Report
Save

I'm going to post separately about the airport now.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
63,317 posts
8,640 reviews
4,010 helpful votes
8. Re: April/May 2021 Trip Report
Save

Awesome trip. Thanks for your trip report.

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
9. Re: April/May 2021 Trip Report
Save

underthecoconuttree...definitely check out Bliss Salon and Medispa at La Patrona in San Pancho. https://www.facebook.com/blisslapatronamx/

She's just getting started in this new, fabulous location. Both days we spent there were amazing. Rebecca and her staff are the best. It's a quick cab ride to San Pancho and you get the added benefit of getting to visit another wonderful town.

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
24 posts
10. Re: April/May 2021 Trip Report
Save

Love all of this! Thank you!!!

Reply to: April/May 2021 Trip Report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sayulita
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.