We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sayulita with kids - ages 4 and 7

Level Contributor
24 posts
Sayulita with kids - ages 4 and 7
Save

Would love to hear what everyone's favorite activities are with younger kids?

We're staying for 2+ weeks in June and everywhere we booked has a pool, and between the 3 places we are staying we will be near north beach and playa de los muertos, so I expect a lot of beach time :).

We are booking a boat trip with Chicalocca .. and a cooking class at our villa one evening with Cecelia ... (both recommendations from the forum and sayulitalife.com, thank you!)

Any easy hikes (or is June way too hot)?

Horseback riding?

Kayaking?

Surf lessons - good for younger kids and maybe us adults too!

Anything with local schools/kids ?

My 7-year old speaks spanish so immersion opportunities are very welcome!

We will leave LOTS of room to just be and hang and go wherever we are pulled but also want to have some ideas - and contacts - in our back pockets!

Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Alameda, California
Level Contributor
424 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Sayulita with kids - ages 4 and 7
Save

I'm going to say it one more time...Don't Over Plan! The kids aren't going to be bored. They'll make friends. We've done horseback riding...meh. ATV tour...meh. Our best/most memorable days have been ones where we just chilled and played in the waves, ate popsicles and shrimp on a skewer. You'll make friends with other parents and activities will present themselves. Promise.

Level Contributor
24 posts
2. Re: Sayulita with kids - ages 4 and 7
Save

Haha I agree with you! Not planning on overplanning at all :)

I agree the magic happens in the space we give ourselves!

Moreso wanted to see if there were any MUST DOs or directions to look into once we're there and find ourself with the desire to do something!

Especially a local school / activity for kids that couple potentially support the community but maybe that doesn't exist..

We definitely want to do surf lessons so it's just a matter of finding a company or instructor that could do it with all four of us.

Oh well, we will figure it out as we go!

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
287 reviews
94 helpful votes
3. Re: Sayulita with kids - ages 4 and 7
Save

You are in the best local for surf lessons, so I would definitely jump on that. As Yolanda said, try not to over plan and see what feels right at the time. You should have a wonderful visit.

Sayulita
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
34 reviews
24 helpful votes
4. Re: Sayulita with kids - ages 4 and 7
Save

Sorry for not replying sooner. School has been held online this year so there are no school activities that your kids might take part in. Check out Centro Creativo and see if they might have something planned for when you're there. https://www.sayulitalife.com/sayulero/index.php/2018/10/02/el-centro-creativo-sayulita-a-non-profit-organization-making-a-difference-in-our-community/ I think it will be too hot for any hikes, especially for a 4y/o. If you do decide to go for a good long walk, bring LOTS of water and go to the north end of the beach and either go along the rocks at low tide or go up and around and end up at Malpaso beach. Note that there are NO services there (food/drink/washrooms) and there is a serious undertow so do NOT go in the water. Alternately, go to the south end of the beach and wander through the cemetery to Los Muertos beach, which will have everything you need to enjoy time at the beach. The cemetery is very interesting and not creepy at all, so the kids should love it. For surf lessons, you'd probably want to try someone at the south end of the beach, as it will be the calmest waves. You could also approach Patricia's surf school at Capitan Pablo's restaurant. She is excellent with children. Horseback riding, if you do want to do that, go to the astoundingly old-school casual Rancho Manuel "outlet" under a tree where they sit on a purloined town bench and relax. Really nice people, good-tempered horses. It's one block up from the beach, right by the river, which will almost certainly be dry when you're there. https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g445056-d16180213-Reviews-Rancho_Manuel-Sayulita_Pacific_Coast.html Find them and chat with them a day or two before you might want to go out with them and discuss options and prices. I recommend an early morning ride before it gets too hot. You and your kids will love Sayulita and June is a great time to be there. Mask up, use hand sanitizer. Don't haggle prices too much, and please over-tip. They can use the money after over a year of virtually no foreign tourism.

Edited: May 15, 2021, 11:52 pm
Alameda, California
Level Contributor
424 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Sayulita with kids - ages 4 and 7
Save

Agree with Harry...we tipped EVERYBODY...A LOT. And it felt so good to do because it wasn't expected at all. I only haggled briefly with one of the beach vendors I know by name and only because I know he expects me to a little. Otherwise, we made a lot of people smile (especially children) with what is (to us) not a lot of money.

Reply to: Sayulita with kids - ages 4 and 7
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sayulita
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.