We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loud Music until 4 AM and 5 AM in Sayulita

Ambler, Pennsylvania
1 post
Loud Music until 4 AM and 5 AM in Sayulita
Save

My wife and I are staying in Sayulita. We arrived January 1st 2021 and are leaving April 26th 2021.

Unfortunately, we won't be returning here again as a destination, even with all this town actually does have to offer.

Why? Due to the non-stop amplified blaring techno, and drum beat music multiple nights weekly, even on most Sunday nights. Music usually continues until 4:00 AM minimum, and 5:00 AM in the morning not uncommon at all.

Seriously! Music comes from the town square and various bars. It doesn't usually start until 10 PM or though, so get a siesta in early HA! Cause you won't be sleeping till the music stops, and you can leterally hear it everywhere!

The volume actually then cranks UP even louder about 12:30 or 1 AM until it stops at 4 AM if you are lucky, but it will probably be at least 4:30 AM to 5 AM till it stops.

Don't let anyone tell you that there are parts of town where you cannot hear this music, we are supposedly staying in one of those areas where it is supposedly not an issue HA! All the windows and doors shut, and ear plugs and still will not let you sleep.

And don't get me wrong we like loud classic rock, and roll and rock concerts. We like GOOD music.

This music is the most horrible, syncopated, techno, and jungle drum music, it has no melody, no hooks, and no tune whatsoever, I would not even call it music.

I would vote with my tourist dollars, and go elsewhere for a better vacation.

Somebody in this town needs to regulate the volume of music, number of days of music per week, and what time that the music needs to shut down.

24 replies to this topic
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Loud Music until 4 AM and 5 AM in Sayulita
Save

Thanks for heads up.

Level Contributor
66 posts
2. Re: Loud Music until 4 AM and 5 AM in Sayulita
Save

That has been my experience for many years in Sayulita, and I don't expect it will ever change. Too bad, the only real solution is to stay out of town or somewhere like San Pancho.

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
367 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Loud Music until 4 AM and 5 AM in Sayulita
Save

yeah...Yambak is the main reason we don't stay in town/Gringo Hill. Even at Las Cupulas (South) we could hear Don Pato's back in the day but at least that was live music - it was loud though. I try not to ever make the statement that someone else's music "sucks" or "that's not music" because it's too reminiscent of my grandmother's opinion of my music when I was a teen...and I'm not my grandma. Regardless, I prefer not to hear anyone else's music (no matter if I judge the genre as acceptable) when I'm in bed/at 4AM. I'm sorry it impacted your trip.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
476 posts
4. Re: Loud Music until 4 AM and 5 AM in Sayulita
Save

That's awful! The only thing you can do is to get a powerful Mexican citizen to get angry and take matters into his or her own hands😎

Victor, Idaho
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Loud Music until 4 AM and 5 AM in Sayulita
Save

We lived on the north end for 6 months until just a few days ago. Only heard music a few times late. I wouldn’t stay close to the plaza or gringo hill because it’s loud. And bass travels up hill. The irony is that if you were to go to one of those places late night you would see very small crowds at each bar. The real money is being made way earlier. There is no stopping it and probably they have a permit to serve until 4am or have paid off whomever to do it. Sorry to hear it has affected your time there. It’s tough to have rented a place for a big chunk of time and then hate the location. I found where we stayed very quiet. We were only a block off Revolution just past the ball field and seriously only were affected a few nights. Earplugs do help. Some friends who were a block up from Yambak said their whole place would shake.

Sayulita
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
34 reviews
24 helpful votes
6. Re: Loud Music until 4 AM and 5 AM in Sayulita
Save

Greg G, can you tell us which property you've been staying at while in Sayulita? It's no fun, obviously, hearing music, or noise, you don't want to hear every night until 4a.m. but there are so many parts of Sayulita that are not affected by bars on the plaza I think it's important that people know where is good to stay and where is not. A couple of posters here have mentioned Gringo Hill. I live on the hill and I don't hear the plaza at all. Not at all. It depends on which way the house is facing, what other buildings might be blocking the sound, etc.

I'm sorry this issue has impacted your vacation so badly but if you could please try to help others by saying where you're staying, that would benefit those who still choose to come to Sayulita. Thanks very much.

Level Contributor
66 posts
7. Re: Loud Music until 4 AM and 5 AM in Sayulita
Save

I've had many friends who have stayed on Gringo Hill over the years and all have complained about the noise which I have also heard. I don't know why the town doesn't tackle this long standing problem, not many places tolerate this abuse and few don't impose some time limit on nighttime noise. For those who haven't yet experienced it few would believe how loud it is. And it's no exaggeration that it continues almost every night until 3 or 4 am. Maybe next time I'm there I'll do a decibel count. Perhaps someone there now can do so.

Edited: April 20, 2021, 12:09 am
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Loud Music until 4 AM and 5 AM in Sayulita
Save

FWIW, we stayed up the hill- a bit above Punta de Mita, and though we were far away from any bars, people were blasting music from their houses/yards till early AM on Friday and Saturday nights.

So just being away from the plaza is no guarantee of a quiet night. The roosters were maybe worse than the music though. I later read something about a chicken farm, which would make sense- it was just insane! We and many of our neighbors have roosters, but this sounded like a hundred of them!

Edited: April 20, 2021, 12:20 am
Level Contributor
66 posts
9. Re: Loud Music until 4 AM and 5 AM in Sayulita
Save

Just Friday and Saturday nights would be a dream come true to central Sayulita. And, if you think the roosters are loud you need to check out Sayulita centro, not even on the same page.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
35 reviews
39 helpful votes
10. Re: Loud Music until 4 AM and 5 AM in Sayulita
Save

Mexico does not enforce noise complaints.

It's a cultural thing. Mexicans love noise in general, so it's expected all day and normal all night. Don't even try to call police or stop the party, it's a waste of your time and you may actually get in some real trouble.

The only way to avoid this is an isolated AI or peripheral luxury accomodations in a pre-designated rental.

I'm not saying it's good; I don't like it either, but many years ago I stopped fighting it and started looking for lodging far away from populated areas.

Travel safe!

Edited: April 20, 2021, 2:14 am
Reply to: Loud Music until 4 AM and 5 AM in Sayulita
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sayulita
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.