We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinco de Mayo

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
375 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
Cinco de Mayo
Save

OK...my expectations are pretty low here. Is there going to be anything going on to celebrate Cinco de Mayo? I'm really hoping for fireworks! But will probably just drink too many margaritas and be in bed by 9PM. Sigh....

4 replies to this topic
1. Re: Cinco de Mayo

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: April 19, 2021, 10:57 pm

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
10,127 posts
125 reviews
225 helpful votes
2. Re: Cinco de Mayo
Save

Yolanda M,

Cinco de Mayo is not really recognized nor celebrated in Mexico, beyond Puebla, where the battle was fought (and won). Most Mexican Nationals do not even know what it commemorates (a ragtag assortment of Mexican Nationals defeating the French army in Puebla, May 1862).

It is really an excuse for US alcohol distributors to push their products on the US market, which strangely enough does turn out for drinks and Mexican food. Anyway, happy pre Cinco de Mayo! 🇲🇽 🍹 🌮 🥑

¡Diviértanse!

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
133 posts
41 reviews
98 helpful votes
3. Re: Cinco de Mayo
Save

Cinco de Mayo is a big deal here in Denver, but even my Latin friends say, "You know what they call Cinco de Mayo in Mexico? Wednesday!"

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
375 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Cinco de Mayo
Save

Thanks everyone. While I am familiar with the fact that Cinco de Mayo is an American-invented holiday, I thought I saw something about fireworks in Sayulita on Cinco de Mayo's of the before times. But of course, I obsessively watch hundreds of travel videos every week and could have very easily confused my holidays and/or locations. Honestly, I'm just looking for the opportunity to passively enjoy fireworks from our patio. Oh well. Looks like I will just have to spend Cinco de Mayo 2021 lounging in my hammock in paradise sans fireworks.

Edited: April 20, 2021, 6:18 am
Reply to: Cinco de Mayo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sayulita
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.