We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norovirus update

Raleigh, North...
2 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
Norovirus update
Save

Hi all,

My fiancé and I just returned from a quick trip to plan our wedding for next year in Sayulita and both of us got very sick. We admittedly were not as cautious as we should have been after hearing about the new water system in the town (ate ceviche at the beach); however, we are now concerned about having our wedding there next year as we would hate the day to be ruined by illness. Just wondering what everyone else’s recent experiences have been? It seems risky to invite 100 guests there with there still being reports.

Thank you for any responses!

16 replies to this topic
Maryland
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Norovirus update
Save

Sorry you got sick. Are you contributing the illness to the ceviche? Did you get it from a vendor or restaurant? We are going later this summer and I have been monitoring the board and a Facebook group for people getting sick..... you are the first one in a few months but it sounds like something you ate and not a sewage issue?

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
376 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Norovirus update
Save

We eat and drink and swim in Sayulita on every trip. We eat food from beach vendors and I drink cocktails from pretty much every vendor who sells them. My daughter started getting ill on the last few trips right before the new sewage treatment plant was completed. Since its opening we haven't had anyone in our party fall ill...with the exception of me in November 2020 (and even then it was pretty mild and on our last day). I really don't think there is a higher chance someone will fall ill in Sayulita over any other place in Mexico...maybe even a slightly lower chance with the new plant. A recent bride posted a report on her wedding here and she said is was perfect.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
287 reviews
94 helpful votes
3. Re: Norovirus update
Save

I agree with Yolanda that the recent wedding report in Sayulita had no mention of illnesses in her group, which was sizable.

I’ve lived here for several years and never eat street food. My personal preference and I’ve only been sick with Montezuma’s revenge once.

I’m sorry to hear that you both became ill, but if you love Sayulita, hopefully your dream wedding will come true.

4. Re: Norovirus update

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: April 08, 2021, 12:34 am

Maryland
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Norovirus update
Save

Similar thread going on Sayulita reddit if anyone is interested.......

https://www.reddit.com/r/sayulita/comments/mkny1f/norovirus_situation/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Raleigh, North...
2 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Norovirus update
Save

It seems to me that it was from the ceviche I got from a vendor in the beach. In my defense it was kept and on ice. However, I did also surf while I was there and drink ice in cocktails around town. I did only drink bottle water and used bottled water for brushing my teeth. It’s hard to say where exactly it may have came from but the ceviche seems the most likely culprit. I honestly didn’t notice a sewage problem, the river was essentially dry.

Maryland
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Norovirus update
Save

Makes sense...... no way to tell what it was. They only reason I think ceviche is that I have heard ice used, at least at restaurants, is mostly brought in and that is a common practice across Mexico, not just Sayulita. A lot here have said the sewage issue was fixed so I am trusting the locals in that. Harry P seems to be the board expert here and I am sure he will have some additional thoughts on the topic. I appreciate the additional information as I am taking my family to Sayulita is August and was monitoring mentions of illness. Seems like avoiding street and beach vendors isn’t a guarantee but a smart move.

1 post
8. Re: Norovirus update
Save

A group of 8 of us travelled to Sayulita this past week, and 5/8 got ill with norovirus-like symptoms. It couldn’t have been the food because we didn’t eat the same meals before the first person got ill and it was staggered where every 12 hours or so another person got sick. We talked to other people who said Norovirus is prevalent in the town right now.

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
376 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Norovirus update
Save

There's so much rumor and speculation around the "Sayulita sickness". It's become the equivalent of tabloid fodder for travel enthusiasts.

...other people told me it's Norovirus...

This seems to be the only illness that people allow friends, family and complete strangers to diagnose for them.

Really, if a person is that concerned about getting sick on vacation, they should stick to the US and avoid Mexico and all of its Southern neighbors. Montezuma's Revenge, Tourista...Tijuana Two-Step are all fabled traveler illnesses endemic to Mexico. I've been sick in both Zihuataneo and La Paz but I never would have considered telling people to avoid those cities because I got sick in them. It's a risk you take with travel in general and I legit feel like Sayulita is safer than your average Mexican beach town since they have gone to such great lengths to address the issue.

Sorry if I sound defensive but it pains me to watch this rumor/speculation play out on social media.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: Norovirus update
Save

“ .... stick to the US and avoid Mexico and all of its Southern neighbors. “

I dunno, this kind of thing doesn’t seem to be an issue in Belize. No one worries about the ice in their drinks, what water they use to brush their teeth, eating raw vegetables, etc....

I agree with you about the self diagnosing part though- there are all kinds of bacteria and viruses that can cause food poisoning.

Reply to: Norovirus update
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sayulita
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.