We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trinco to colombo by car or bus/train

Singleton, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
trinco to colombo by car or bus/train

i see there is no longer a sleeper compartment on the mail train from Trinco to Colombo. We are a family of 5. What bus or private car options would we have in late June and how much would we expect to pay for a car and driver from Trinco to Colombo ?

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
26 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,544 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trinco to colombo by car or bus/train

Well the compartment is still there but night trains are a bad idea, see top question.

So you can

* Day train, leaves Trinco 7 AM and easy transfer in Galoya junction. (Temporary no reservation possible on GO-Colombo train but generally enough seats). 8 hours.

* Day bus, Around 7-8 hours, roughly 1 x per hour

* Cab, Rs 20,000 - 7 hours

<Erik>

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trinco to colombo by car or bus/train

Hello Mr. Erik,

Thank you for your answer.

About the public bus, I am arriving next week around 5pm at the aiport, so should be around 7pm in Colombo. Do you think I can still catch a bus that can take me to Trinco and arrive there at midnight?

Also, I am looking through taxi options that can take me from trinco to nilaveli. Is this a good idea? My hotel suddenly does not want to pick me up & insists I get a tuk-tuk (around midnight, alone!) and give him his phone number.

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,544 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trinco to colombo by car or bus/train

Well evening buses also take 6 hours at least, not the 5 hours you calculate. See the bus sites mentioned in top question above for the reservable superlux service, might be one fitting your timing but also might not be.

But night travel for solo female on any public transport is a silly and outright dangerous idea here. Hence simply stay overnight in Colombo/Negombo and go next morning.

[Sandya] & <Erik>

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Negombo
Negombo
Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trinco to colombo by car or bus/train

Hello,

thank you for your answer.

I unfortunately am really insisting on arriving to nilaveli at night. I don't want to waste a day in transportation, as i underestimated how far trinco was, and hiw much timr i'll be staying in the east of the island. Hopefully, it will go okay. I'm looking through taxies to drive me at night to my hotel from the bus terminal at trinco.

What might happen if i was alone? In the bus i'm sure there will be people, and i'll try to sit next to a family/women.

do you think there's a big risk?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,544 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trinco to colombo by car or bus/train

Yes a HUGE one. Local families do not travel at night, local men do and you will know that. Lots and lots of stories of female tourist being harrassed, after falling asleep waking up with a man next to them touching them all over etc etc.

If the acco is fixed, get a cab from _airport_ to Trinco but that is USD 140 or so. The airport cabbies would be fired and company license revoked if anything would happen, hence are safe.

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trinco to colombo by car or bus/train

But that is too expensive. I have limited alternatives.

oh my... I had no idea it was that bad. Idk what else to do. Should i carry an electric taser? Or pepper spray for example?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,544 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trinco to colombo by car or bus/train

Both forbidden as far as I know.

It'\s your mistake making this booking and you refuse the advice to fix it (1 night in Negombo and then next day to Trinco, or spending more). So I'm afraid we have reached the end of what is possible advising :-(

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Negombo
Negombo
Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trinco to colombo by car or bus/train

Ah well. I'll risk it and take the bus. I'lldo taxi, bus, taxi, this way it'll be less painful. Thank you.

bundeena
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trinco to colombo by car or bus/train

Don’t do it .

even a local mother and daughter won’t travel on those night buses.

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trinco to colombo by car or bus/train

But what makes them so risky? There's a bus driver, no? An employed public bus driver.

Reply to: trinco to colombo by car or bus/train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Trincomalee