We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning to trek to gosainkunda.

Sharjah, United...
4 posts
planning to trek to gosainkunda.
Save

Hi,

By this mid September me and my wife were planing to trek to Gosainkunda.

We think of taking the Sundarijal route and return journey via Dunchey.

I wanted to know how long is the trek through this route?

And if the route is safe post this earthquake?

thank you.

10 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
1. Re: planning to trek to gosainkunda.
Save

Hi Subhas

I was in Nepal in June and trekked to Chisapani, the village after Sundarijal. There was widespread damage with only one building intact and most of the others were destroyed. Luckily, the intact place was a lodge and the owner told me the villages further up had also suffered extensive damage. I do not know whether any lodges were open higher up. I have read somewhere (can't find the source at the moment) that the lodges at Gosainkund were badly damaged. This article gives some brief information about Helambu:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/nepal-trekking-back-in-action

I would reconsider trekking this route unless you can find up to date information from somebody who was there and can confirm accommodation was available (unless you are adventurous>...).

That said, I have trekked the Helambu Circuit twice, heading back into the valley at Tharepati rather than heading up to the pass and crossed the pass in the other direction once. 7 or 8 days should be enough for most people to trek Sundarijal to Dhunche. Overnights could be Chisapani, Kutumsang, Tharepati, Phedi, Gosainkund, Shing Gompa and Dhunche (because buses to KTM leave early in the morning).

http://howadoor.umbra.cz/img/map/Langtang_1_100000_150_dpi_colour.jpg

Good luck.

scoodly

Lake District...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Kathmandu
Level Contributor
7,070 posts
41 reviews
28 helpful votes
2. Re: planning to trek to gosainkunda.
Save

Excellent and up to date firsthand info posted by scoodly and I would take his advice, there are plenty of other trekking options available in areas that weren’t as badly affected by the earthquakes – So If it were me, I would opt for one of these.

Two suggestions

Mardi Himal (My own Trek report on a travelogue in my Nepal blog – Link in my tagline if you want to take a look)

Khopra Danda – I haven’t done this trek yet, but am deep into the planning stages for my next trip to Nepal, hopefully in March

These two routes can be combined if you have sufficient time

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

My Nepal Blog http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Sharjah, United...
4 posts
3. Re: planning to trek to gosainkunda.
Save

Thank you folks for your precious guidelines and advice.

Above all those stories of disaster by recent earthquake we decided to go ahead with our plan to trek to Gosainkunda ....and Yippee..!!

We did it..!!

It was amazing trek.

Thank you once again :)

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
4. Re: planning to trek to gosainkunda.
Save

Hi Subhas

Excellent, glad you made it and enjoyed it.

It would be good to hear how it went because I am interested but more os for those thinking about this trek.

scoodly

Sharjah, United...
4 posts
5. Re: planning to trek to gosainkunda.
Save

The trek route is damaged at some places...but one can find the way...the fear of landslides has subsided coz' the monsoon is over and the weather is fine.

Above all Gosainkunda is still peaceful and mesmerizing.

The lodges along the way are back in business.

So for all those wanting to visit this place....

Feel free,,have the time of your life.

Cheers.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
6. Re: planning to trek to gosainkunda.
Save

Thanks Subhas. Very useful, good to know the lodges are back in business.

Did you go as planned from Sundarijal to Gosainkhund and out via Dhunche? What was the damage in the villages up to G like? I'm wondering particularly about Kuthumsang, Tharepati and Phedi.

Thanks again.

scoodly

Sharjah, United...
4 posts
7. Re: planning to trek to gosainkunda.
Save

Dear scoodly,

Earlier this month when we did the trek it was still raining.

So we cancelled the Sundarijal route..and took more safer route via Dunchey and back to Ktm the same route.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
8. Re: planning to trek to gosainkunda.
Save

Thanks again Subhas.

scoodly

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
154 reviews
138 helpful votes
9. Re: planning to trek to gosainkunda.
Save

Thanks. That's very helpful

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
10. Re: planning to trek to gosainkunda.
Save

Great to read that Gosainkunda is still trekkable. I have been there twice, and it is one of my favourite places in Nepal.

Last Dec - Jan we tried to get to G again, but deep snow meant we gave up at Lauribina La (possibly I would have persisted if I had not been to G before). We walked back, through increasingly heavy snow, to Sing Gompa, then walked down to Dhunche the next day - the walk from SG to D involves a lot of descent - it is pretty relentless, and would make for quite a tough start to a trek - we saw 2 or 3 small groups heading up. An alternative option, with easier ascent, would be to go via Brabal to Thulo Syabru, then the next day up to SG, but it would depend on how much time people had.

Reply to: planning to trek to gosainkunda.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gosainkund
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.