We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black flies

Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
23 helpful votes
Black flies
Save

Taking trip mid June but haven’t nailed down where yet.... Mackinaw City/Pictured Rocks is one possibility but I keep reading about the black flies and I’m thinking I’d rather go somewhere else than deal with them....thoughts?

4 replies to this topic
chicago
Level Contributor
12,022 posts
27 reviews
40 helpful votes
1. Re: Black flies
Save

Mackinac and Pictured Rocks are hours apart. Never had black flies on the island.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
275 reviews
305 helpful votes
2. Re: Black flies
Save

Black flies are a thing around Mackinaw, but not very common. They are something i remember dealing with when growing up there, but in dozens of trips in recent years, including several in mid June, I haven't encountered them even once.

Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
23 helpful votes
3. Re: Black flies
Save

Sorry, not going to Mackinaw Island, Mackinaw City and Pictured Rocks were plan

Michigan
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
9 helpful votes
4. Re: Black flies
Save

By mid-June you may be okay. We've encountered them twice in late May/early June in and around Mackinaw city (but not on the island) but it was the end of their season from what we were told.

Reply to: Black flies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mackinaw City
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.