We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park

J-W
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
1,281 reviews
426 helpful votes
Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park

We are planning a Canadian Adventure for early to mid September. We will come through Manitoba and visit Riding Mountain National Park and then venture on to Edmonton to visit friends. We have been to Banff, Yoho, Kootenay and Waterton several times, but will return to Jasper this time. However On our way back to the states we are thinking about going to Cypress Hills Park, Fort Walsh and possibly Grasslands National Park. We are wondering how much time we should plan to spend at these three locations. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
Calgary
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
65 reviews
60 helpful votes
1. Re: Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park

I'd give Cypress Hills two days. I like the sublime quiet and exploring some of the back areas. It will be quiet compared to the mountain parks ....

J-W
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
1,281 reviews
426 helpful votes
2. Re: Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park

Thank you. It sounds wonderfully peaceful. I'm wondering if Grasslands is worth the journey. It doesn't look the there are many places to stay and i sure don't want to get stranded out in the middle of no where!

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
21,169 posts
28 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park

hi

if you are a bird watcher then the Grasslands is a good detour. Otherwise there is little tourism infrastructure so you really have to do the research on the few motels/hotels and BnBs.

I have a birder friend that did this in the spring; he posted photos on Flickr which gives you an idea about what you might see https://www.flickr.com/photos/8666250@N02/ when you scroll down the page there is a google map of the route they covered. He also has a write up for most pictures when you click on the image.

J-W
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
1,281 reviews
426 helpful votes
4. Re: Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park

Thank you for this reply. After a little more research, we have decided to skip Grasslands.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park

If you are looking for somewhere to stay near Cypress Hills, I wholeheartedly recommend Ghostown Blues just outside of Maple Creek. Nothing short of spectacular. One of the most wonderful & unique places I've stayed anywhere.

http://www.ghostownblues.com/

Reply to: Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Elkwater