We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disability access to rides at Disney

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
308 posts
11 reviews
19 helpful votes
Disability access to rides at Disney
Save

I need information from someone who has dealt with a physical mobility issue at Disney.

My cousin and I will be there for several days in October. My cousin is in her 60s and has a disease that affects her ability to stand and to keep her balance. She leans on counters and walls to get around her house and uses a walker when she is outside the house. We are going to Disney specifically because they are so friendly to people with disabilities (and because it's one of my favorite places in the world and I think she will enjoy it). I know there will be some trade-offs and it won't be as easy as if I was by myself. I have reserved a scooter for her. I did not reserve a wheelchair because I have my own issues and I would not be able to push her around all day. We are staying on Disney property specifically so we can use their transportation system.

Disney has maps with icons showing how accessible each ride is. There are rides that say that someone must transfer from a scooter to get onto the ride. Some say they must transfer from a scooter to a wheelchair to get on the ride. We are concerned about supporting her during the transfer. We have not been able to figure out a way to bring her walker with us. If she needs to use a wheelchair to get from the scooter to the ride, will Disney have a wheelchair there that she can use? or is there another solution?

I appreciate any information you can give me. I have family members who I can no longer talk to about this trip because they keep warning me that this is not going to work.

22 replies to this topic
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
89 reviews
76 helpful votes
1. Re: Disability access to rides at Disney
Save

Maybe a folding walker that can strap to the scooter? And I'd bet that most cast members will help transfer. Or perhaps it's worth considering grabbing a wheelchair, and just using it for any rides as needed, then parking it until you need it next.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
29,032 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
2. Re: Disability access to rides at Disney
Save

It's just you and her? I wouldn't count on CM being able to help. We were in Disneyland earlier in the month and they couldn't even touch your phone/camera to take pictures. And they used those metal grabber things for meet and greet when kids got too close to the characters.

Bringing the walker is a good idea. We have done many Disneyland trips with my mother in law and recently with my mom with a scooter. My MIL brings her walking stick. I have to defer to others if a walker would be feasible on the scooter.

Edited: September 03, 2021, 7:52 am
United States
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
3. Re: Disability access to rides at Disney
Save

Can you get a walker that folds and strap it to the back of the scooter?

I know there are foldable walkers that are quite sturdy used them twice after knee replacements.

Drive Medical 10210-1 Deluxe Two Button Folding Walker with 5-Inch Wheels https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HOM4U2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_NRDN78R10PETT5SV287G

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
29,032 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
4. Re: Disability access to rides at Disney
Save

Which rides say you need to transfer to wheelchair from scooter? I assume a walking stick is not steady enough for her?

In our experience at Disneyland, they were very accommodating. On rides like Haunted House, they slowed down the landing rate so my MIL had ample time to get on the buggy.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
22,380 posts
82 reviews
46 helpful votes
5. Re: Disability access to rides at Disney
Save

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/mobility-disabilities/

here's some info right from the Walt Disney website :)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
7,291 posts
13 reviews
32 helpful votes
6. Re: Disability access to rides at Disney
Save

For the most part she can use a scooter in the lines. Then she would have to transfer to the ride car. There are several rides that allow for a wheelchair, small world, jungle cruise and toy story mania come to mind. My father had mobility issues. There were a few rides where they would stop completely so he could take the time he needed to board.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
13,830 posts
235 reviews
274 helpful votes
7. Re: Disability access to rides at Disney
Save

Cast Members cannot assist in the transfer. It’s a liability issue.

If the attraction makes you transfer because the scooter doesn’t fit, there will be a wheelchair on hand.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
308 posts
11 reviews
19 helpful votes
8. Re: Disability access to rides at Disney
Save

Thanks, everyone. I had read some of the information Tenni linked to in #6 but it was months ago and I could not remember the details, and I was having to explain things over and over to family members who have never been to DisneyWorld. Also, since a web site often does not tell the whole story, it is good to hear other people's experiences. We will take a folding walker and see if we can somehow attach it to the scooter but it sounds like we may be able to get by without it.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
29,032 posts
24 reviews
85 helpful votes
9. Re: Disability access to rides at Disney
Save

Is it just you? I think it's feasible. People who have not been to WDW or DL don't know how accessible they make it.

So she can't use a walking cane for that bit of transfer? Would be easier to bring that then a folding walker. But I think it's feasible. You might just have to bring a luggage strap or something to make it stay on the scooter.

Yes they slow down or stop the belt so you can load safely. Very helpful.

Harlingen,TX
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
34 reviews
10 helpful votes
10. Re: Disability access to rides at Disney
Save

I use a scooter at WDW and have virtually no balance, Yet, I manage solo trips about once a year. I can walk, very slowly, a few steps however. First, yes, Disney has wheelchairs where you must transfer to a wheelchair-the only rides I remember like that are Pirates and Winnie the Pooh.And although CMs aren't technically allowed to assist in any way, I've always been pleasantly surprised about how nice they are about offering their hand or arm for support or balance. I've even had Cast Members nicely offer to push me in a wheelchair on those rides where you must transfer to using a wheelchair.

Reply to: Disability access to rides at Disney
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.