We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NON-Disney Orlando area restaurants?

Canton, Georgia
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
26 helpful votes
NON-Disney Orlando area restaurants?
Save

I've searched and searched in the restaurant section in orlando, kissimmee and other surrounding areas. I keep getting on-property Disney restaurants or big ole national chains (cracker barrel, bob evans)

I'm looking for a cool, NON-disney local orlando area restaurant, mid-price range for dinner.

Any locals got some tips?

thanks a ton.

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: NON-Disney Orlando area restaurants?
Save

Hi, we loved cafe tu tu tango when we were there last and will definitely be paying it anothwe visit - or 2 when we go back in April http://www.cafetututango.com/index.html

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
41 helpful votes
2. Re: NON-Disney Orlando area restaurants?
Save

jsundy29, I just bumped up a list I put on last week from Orlando Weekly. Its pretty long; has some chains and plenty of non-chains on it, and most of the places are not i the touristy areas. Also, here is the link for the list of the Orlando Sentinel 2006 Foodie Awards for Restaurants in about 40 or so categories (readers and critics choices); most of them not being in the touristy areas:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/dining/orl-db-foodies-search-pg1,0,4674295,results.formprofile?

And I did a post for "Romantic Restaurants" early this morning; I'm going to bump that up for you as well, as it may have a few things of interest for you.

One other place (may have won a Foodie Award); Bosphorus, which is on Park Ave in Winter Park, is a newer place which does Turkish Food, and, like most of the Park Ave restaurants, has sidewalk seating available.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
41 helpful votes
3. Re: NON-Disney Orlando area restaurants?
Save

Buca Di Beppo is a family style Italian place with locations in Maitland and the Florida Mall.

There is a FishBones on I-Drive, but there is a new one in the Lake Mary/Sanford area in Colonial Townpark (there are a number of restaurants at Colonial Townpark) that I would like to visit, and apparently its a pretty popular place, though may not mid-range.

My wife ate at a place she liked years ago called Le Bon Appetit in Ocoee, but the owners have apparently moved to a place in Winter Park called Paris-Bistro, which was given a very good write-up here:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/dining/orl-dining2206jan22,0,6410163.story

Also, I've heard good things about Aubergine Bistro in Casselberry, in the Publix/Ross/Stein Mart shopping center at 436 and Howell Branch Rd.

And, jsundy29, if you haven't already, search in places such as Winter Park, College Park, Maitland, Altamonte Springs, Longwood, Winter Springs, Oviedo, Lake Mary, and Sanford, for restaurants, as these are areas outside of "Orlando" in the northern suburbs.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
41 helpful votes
4. Re: NON-Disney Orlando area restaurants?
Save

And there's also Crazy Buffet in Altamonte Springs (my wife loves this place) and Bayridge Sushi in Longwood for sushi lovers. And I can't forget Aki Japanese Restaurant on Universal Blvd behind Wet n' Wild and Westgate Palace (look for the "Japan Food" sign); good place for sushi or other lunch.

So. Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
587 posts
6 reviews
15 helpful votes
5. Re: NON-Disney Orlando area restaurants?
Save

Texas de Brazil! It's on International Drive. It's a bit pricey ($42 per person) BUT, if you sign up on their website at texasdebrazil.com you'll get coupons emailed to you. Also, they now serve lunch on Fridays at half the cost.

The food and experience are just amazing and well worth the one time splurge! And if it happens to be anywhere near someone in your group's birthday and they sign up online, they get a coupon for a FREE meal with other meal purchased. So even though it's expensive there are ways to make it mid-priced.

Canton, Georgia
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
26 helpful votes
6. Re: NON-Disney Orlando area restaurants?
Save

WOW! You guys are amazing. Thank you so much for all the advice and links. This was exactly what I was looking for.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
156 posts
30 reviews
56 helpful votes
7. Re: NON-Disney Orlando area restaurants?
Save

Another vote for eating in Winter Park - try any of the excellent places along Park Avenue. You will not be surrounded by chains (or by many tourists). Bosphorus is good. I also like 310 South Park and Panullos.

Or try Dexter's either in Winter park or Thornton Park.

Nassau, New York
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
89 reviews
50 helpful votes
8. Re: NON-Disney Orlando area restaurants?
Save

Bahama Breeze....American/Carribean/Seafood.

http://www.bahamabreeze.com/

If you scroll up to the top of this page, on the left hand side under the Search window is a green window that says Orlando...click on Orlando Restaurants and you'll get a listing of all the restaurants that have reviews written. I've found this very helpful. It will give you on as well as off Disney restaurants.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
5,195 posts
1 review
9. Re: NON-Disney Orlando area restaurants?
Save

I love Bahama Breeze.

The best Caeser salad I have ever tasted

orlando burb
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
48 reviews
15 helpful votes
10. Re: NON-Disney Orlando area restaurants?
Save

straub's seafood in altamonte or on east hwy 50, la coq a vin on south orange ave, barney's steak house on hwy 50, mykonos greek rest in longwood, mona lisa italian (very good) in longwood, tu tu tango on i drive, eastern pearl (oriental) in altamonte as well as imperial dynasty, any ale house rest, habana grill (cuban) in altamonte (by crazy buffet), hight tide harry's seafood, best sub and fried chicken for takee outee is made by publix super market....

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.