We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do between Miami and Key Largo

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
85 reviews
78 helpful votes
What to do between Miami and Key Largo
Save

We are flying in on Mother’s Day morning and have a few hours to kill before we check in to our stay in Key Largo. Is there anything we can do, see, and where to eat between the Miami airport and Key Largo? We will be coming back to Miami and spending 3 full days there at the end of our trip, so I’d rather do something outside of the Miami area.

I was thinking Key Biscayne, but I’m not sure if the boats are running to Boca Chita or if it’s even worth it since we wouldn’t be snorkeling. My 3 year old would love to see manatees if anyone has any tips!

2 replies to this topic
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
136 posts
53 reviews
55 helpful votes
1. Re: What to do between Miami and Key Largo
Save

Snooks Bayside in Key Largo opens at noon and you can sit and enjoy that view forever. They do not take reservations on weekends and Mother’s Day will be packed.

You can easily spend an hour at Robert is Here in Homestead. A bit overpriced but worth the experience.

Alabama Jacks is also fun for dining very casually.

John Pennecamp State Park in Key Largo offers beach, nature trails, safe parking and snorkel and glass bottom boat tours (book snorkeling and glass botton boat in advance). It is nice to be there and you can but food and snacks if needed

You can also visit the Everglades, key entry is in Homestead.

Lots of options. We love Evelyns in Key Largo for breakfast.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
21,842 posts
106 reviews
72 helpful votes
2. Re: What to do between Miami and Key Largo
Save

Why not explore the keys? Kids always love Largo Cargo. And there are plenty of little shops, stores, bars and restaurants. You could drive down to Tavernier and stop in the Rain Barrel and Islamorada is not much further. Lots of good places for lunch there too. There are not a lot of manatees in Florida at this time of year, most of them gather in the winter months on the gulf coast around Crystal River and Homassassa. I have seen them in summer in canals in the keys but haven't been recently. Someone on the Florida Keys forum should be able to help with that.

Reply to: What to do between Miami and Key Largo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.