We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Well the reviews are harrowing. Is it worth it?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
417 posts
136 reviews
81 helpful votes
Well the reviews are harrowing. Is it worth it?
Save

Was going to take a safe mini break to Miami/South beach first week of May. The reviews at all of the prime hotel locations are downright frightening. Not just because of covid, but because of the crowds and hotel understaffing. Should I even bother?

13 replies to this topic
Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
9,599 posts
7 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: Well the reviews are harrowing. Is it worth it?
Save

Have you been to south beach before? It’s not all that different from a few years ago, esp. in early May. In other words, nothing to worry about. The harrowing reviews of crowds you’re reading were probably written during Spring Break, now over.

Memorial Day weekend is another very crowded time to avoid, but early May should be no problem.

Which area were you planning to stay in?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
417 posts
136 reviews
81 helpful votes
2. Re: Well the reviews are harrowing. Is it worth it?
Save

Yes thank you, I have been before having many family members there. Reading the hotel reviews has me quite concerned. Staffing, crowds, and everything else had me questioning safety. I am coming to visit elderly family members but wanted to make certain that the hotel options weren’t truly as dismal as they read on this site. This is isn’t a “fun” trip but one that may be the last I see very vulnerable members of my family.

Was looking at the old St James. Delano seems closed and was looking at SLS or Lowe’s

Edited: April 18, 2021, 1:19 pm
US
Level Contributor
9,756 posts
3. Re: Well the reviews are harrowing. Is it worth it?
Save

I don;t trust TA reviews anymore. Too many 1 review wonders that make me question their validity. I use google reviews instead because they pull from TA as well as Google users, booking, expedia and pretty much all the main travel companies. Sort by date and see if the reviews there are as bad as you see here. Then decide. You also ned to decide if someone seems like a nervous nelly that would be comfortable in any urban setting.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
417 posts
136 reviews
81 helpful votes
4. Re: Well the reviews are harrowing. Is it worth it?
Save

Thank you

Spring Hill, Kansas
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Well the reviews are harrowing. Is it worth it?
Save

Also going to be in Miami Beach the first week of May, staying at the Cadillac Hotel & Beach Club. I’ve been down into the depths of the reviews too, and had the same worry. Seems like the bad reviews on TA I’m reading were mostly posted during Spring Break. Wasn’t sure if I was making a big mistake going to Miami Beach or just at that point pre-vacation where I start to overthink everything I’ve planned. :)

Edited: April 19, 2021, 1:11 am
United States
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
6. Re: Well the reviews are harrowing. Is it worth it?
Save

First of all, Spring Break wasn't really Spring Break in terms of college students, etc. I was in Miami Beach in both early January when it was completely serene and peaceful, and mid March when I was "on alert" as a former 0311 Marine Corps infantryman while walking around South Beach. Some/most of that mid-March South Beach crowd was an aberration for Miami Beach, and tales of shootings, gun confiscations, police being called in from surrounding jurisdictions, South Beach curfews at 8 PM, and causeways to MB being closed at 10 pm were most certainly an aberration. And the police got a handle on that situation real quick.

Still, even during that mid-March period (which was at its worst around March 19 and 20), mid-beach (like at the Cadillac) and North Beach were completely serene and peaceful, as I would suspect South Beach is today.

I'm arriving again on May 15 and can't wait.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
16,692 posts
173 reviews
125 helpful votes
7. Re: Well the reviews are harrowing. Is it worth it?
Save

Friends of mine just returned from 4 nights at The Lowe’s and they said everything was great. When they walked down to Ocean Drive one evening, there were some rowdy crowds, but nothing that felt unsafe or dangerous in any way.

Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
23 reviews
34 helpful votes
8. Re: Well the reviews are harrowing. Is it worth it?
Save

That's in our home state so we are also doing safe-trips there until we can again travel farther (so far we had to cancel and postpone 3 international trips!). As far as you avoid holidays, you should be fine. In fact, we are heading there in May. We don't do hotels, we prefer renting an apartment for the family.

Level Contributor
95 posts
25 reviews
9 helpful votes
9. Re: Well the reviews are harrowing. Is it worth it?
Save

I just returned from South Beach (Point) yesterday. I stayed 7 days in a rented condo in the 300 block of Ocean Dr. During my stay I travelled up and down Collins and Ocean, between the "party" blocks. I walked around both during the night and day. During late-night it was crowded and did witness some rowdy behavior and fights between some groups. There was a large police presence in the area that quickly addressed any problems. I took the normal precautions one should take when out and about in a tourist area. I felt safe and was safe during my entire stay. Was it worth it? A big YES. I had a wonderful vacation and thoroughly enjoyed that area. You can too, just plan appropriately and take adequate safety precautions (as you would for any vacation).

Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
23 reviews
34 helpful votes
10. Re: Well the reviews are harrowing. Is it worth it?
Save

Thanks Randy for the update, now we are surely visiting in May!

Reply to: Well the reviews are harrowing. Is it worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Miami Beach
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.