We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with picking a beach area

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
220 posts
19 reviews
33 helpful votes
Help with picking a beach area
Save

Hi everyone - My husband & I are headed to Miami in May. We are staying at the Mandarin, so we are not on the beach and would like to have a beach day if the weather cooperates. Last time we used the spa at the Faena hotel so we were able to use their beach chairs, which was awesome! I could not get an appointment this year and I have looked into purchasing a day pass at a hotel but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. We are in our mid 40's and are looking for a mellow beach vibe (not a loud party scene). What beach area would you suggest for us to rent chair at? Also, having only done this at a hotel before, do the beach chair service help with food/drinks (is alcohol only allowed at a hotel?).

TIA!

2 replies to this topic
Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
9,592 posts
7 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: Help with picking a beach area
Save

You don’t really have to get a hotel pass to get chairs, umbrellas and food service at the beach (unless you specifically need a spa?) You can rent directly on the beach, either in the areas behind hotels, or most other places. Rental rates vary a bit, so it pays to compare. To rent chairs/umbrellas, just ask the beach attendant at any beach location you decide.

Alcohol is not permitted anywhere on the beach, incl. behind hotels. That said, this is not strictly enforced, and every year or two the City attorney is surprised to learn that many hotels have been serving drinks for years. If getting a drink delivered to your beach chair is important, then rent behind a hotel. For example, the Savoy (400 block) has a nice poolside bar with beach service, or you can walk in from the beach.

In general I recommend the beach in that area, south of 5 Street, for the better ambience and relatively less crowd. Walk to nearby South Pointe pier for good views.

Edited: April 08, 2021, 2:29 am
Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
9,592 posts
7 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Help with picking a beach area
Save

I did a survey of beach rentals about 4 years ago. Though rates are probably a shade more now, you may find it useful:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34439-i35-k10119708-Staying_in_SoFi_during_Spring_Break-Miami_Beach_Florida.html

Reply to: Help with picking a beach area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.