We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Miami

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
First time in Miami
Save

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Miami, April 22-27th. We’ll be staying in the Brickell area (The W to be exact). This will be our first time here so we need some help planning what to do. We’re both in our early 20s, enjoy trying new foods, going on excursions, people watching and having some good drinks.

I’d like to know what are some of the “must see” attractions/areas in the Miami/south beach area? We’ll be taking Uber everywhere. I’ve heard a lot about Wynwood and little Havana which we are planning to do in one day. However, I’d like to see what else there is. Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Also, what are some of the best restaurants for a nice birthday dinner? If it helps we’re willing to spend $80-100 pp.

Thank you all so much in advance. I appreciate

3 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Miami Beach
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
18 reviews
127 helpful votes
1. Re: First time in Miami
Save

Hello Mayr from SFO,

Wow... is there a specific reason why you are staying at the W in the city. I'm looking at the pool and it certainly looks cool, however you will be a long distance (measured in travel time rather than distance) from where my guess you will want to spend most of your time.

In full disclosure, I know VERY little about the City of Miami. I am sure there is a lot to do, however my typical comment is that the City of Miami is a GREAT place to do international business and Miami Beach is a great place to vacation. The City of Miami and Miami Beach are two legal separate cities, separated by but one Causeway yet a world apart.

South Beach is the most southern two miles of Miami Beach and is what you see on TV showing it's Art Deco buildings and night life. The W Hotel in Miami Beach is towards the more northern area of the South Beach district and a great area. You can walk to Lincoln Road Mall which has tons of outdoor seating restaurants, shops, and great people watching.

Not sure of your auto arrangements. If you stay anywhere in South Beach, you don't need or want a car.

MHO,

SBF

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
7,179 posts
119 reviews
110 helpful votes
2. Re: First time in Miami
Save

You will be centrally located at the W, which has a great pool. If you stay at The W you will get more of a locals vibe.

South Beach is only 15-20 minutes away and a place you will likely hit 1 or 2 days. That will give you plenty of opportunity to check out Little Havana, Wynwood, Coconut Grove, Key Biscayne, and Design District which are all on the mainland, with Brickell.

For fun and nice dinners in Brickell I would have a look at Komodo (like Tao in NYC and Vegas) and Marion...Sugar is a fun rooftop bar at the nearby East Hotel....if you want to get wild check out a pool party at SLS Hotel in South Beach on a Saturday after You will be centrally located at the W, which has a great pool. If you stay at The W you will get more of a locals vibe.

your first night you might want to hit Ball & Chain for live salsa bands in Little Havana....for a wild Saturday afternoon on South Beach you might wish to check out a pool part at SLS Hotel. Sunday is one of my favorite days and afternoons are always great at Kiki on the River, Seaspice, and/or The Deck at island Gardens.....Design District is good for shopping and has a fun restaurant and lounge called Swan / Bar Bevy—usually good on a Friday night.

Many stay on the beach but staying at W Hotel will give you more of an urban experience with the beach just 15-20 minutes away.

Edited: April 03, 2021, 8:36 am
Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
7 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: First time in Miami
Save

From downtown, consider a boat tour from Bayside Marketplace. Check the net for discounts. The Thriller speedboat is fun.

In south beach, the beach of course, plus the art deco buildings on Ocean Drive, and South Pointe Park is a great park with the best views in south beach.

Reply to: First time in Miami
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.