We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rehobeth vs. Bethany Beach

upstate NY
Level Contributor
982 posts
10 reviews
8 helpful votes
Rehobeth vs. Bethany Beach
Save

Hello all --

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but my husband and I are struggling to decide between Bethany and Rehoboth Beaches for a ten-day vacation in September. We usually go to the gulf coast of Florida every year, but due to Covid we prefer to go somewhere within driving distance of upstate NY. We have been to Ocean City before and definitely do not want to go back there. We found it too big, too crowded and just not our thing at all. We prefer beach towns with few high rises and chain stores/restaurants, really good happy hour and dining options, and particularly enjoy dining in waterfront restaurants. We want more of a quiet vacation, but do not want something like Sanibel where everything closes and the sidewalks roll up before 9:00 at night. We are not partiers by any means, but we do enjoy having a late dinner so this is important to us. An oceanfront vacation rental is a must for us. I know there are far more rentals available in Bethany that fit this bill, but the look of Sea Colony just sort of depresses me. We prefer more of the beach house/cottage feel and I am struggling to find anything like that oceanfront in Bethany.

I would appreciate any thoughts you might have, and welcome any restaurant/happy hour recommendations! Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
748 posts
275 reviews
116 helpful votes
1. Re: Rehobeth vs. Bethany Beach
Save

Just south of Rehoboth is a small oceanfront condo community called Sea Strand Court that might fit your needs. There’s also a community next to that called Rehoboth By The Sea, and at the end of each block are oceanfront properties.

Rehoboth/Dewey will definitely have more for you to do, with regard to dining and nightlife. Bethany is more of a quiet family town that does shut down early. As accommodations go, the best of both worlds is staying in one of the above mentioned communities, nicknamed “the forgotten mile.” You are walking distance from both upscale Rehoboth and it’s rowdy little cousin Dewey, but the residential neighborhood is generally quiet.

Contact the very nice folks at Gallo Realty or Jack Lingo, and mention my suggestions, and I’m sure they can find the right place for you, especially in September!

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
748 posts
275 reviews
116 helpful votes
2. Re: Rehobeth vs. Bethany Beach
Save

If you’ve got some money burning a hole in your pocket, check out the oceanfront properties on North Shores, Rehoboth or Indian Beach, Dewey.

Maryland
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Rehobeth vs. Bethany Beach
Save

If Sea Colony depresses you, like it does me, you probably don't want to be where you have to look at it all the time.. Anthony mentions the price of North Shores, I've been there over 50 years, it is a special place. I call it the oasis, my escape from the crowds and traffic of Rehoboth.

upstate NY
Level Contributor
982 posts
10 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Rehobeth vs. Bethany Beach
Save

Thank you, Anthony and MDESSM, for your recommendations. I was not able to find an oceanfront property for our dates in any of those locations, but I was able to find what looks to be a nice unit at Star of the Sea. Are either of you familiar with that property, and would you recommend it? I think at this point we are pretty much decided on Rehoboth, so now it just comes down to finding a property we can rent for 10 days. I am finding that many units are strict Saturday to Saturday, even in September, which is disappointing.

Maryland
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Rehobeth vs. Bethany Beach
Save

Sorry, I do not know anything about Star of the Sea. When you said 10 days I was thinking you might have trouble with that. Anthony knows more than me. I pretty much stick to my house in North Shores.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
748 posts
275 reviews
116 helpful votes
6. Re: Rehobeth vs. Bethany Beach
Save

Star of the Sea is an older but well maintained condo hi-rise. I’ve stayed there and it’s nice. Great location and lovely views! Good choice.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
827 posts
34 reviews
18 helpful votes
7. Re: Rehobeth vs. Bethany Beach
Save

Star of the sea is great. I’d stay there in a minute, especially if you have a view of the ocean.

Chester, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Rehobeth vs. Bethany Beach
Save

Must go to The Big Fish Grill for seafood and awesome Happy Hour.

Reply to: Rehobeth vs. Bethany Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rehoboth Beach
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.