We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child booster seats

Moama, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Child booster seats

Hi my husband and I are traveling to Los Angeles from Australia in May with 3 of our grandsons (7) (7) and (4). We don't know whether we should bring booster seats from Australia buy them over there or hire them with the car. The car hire company I find is quite expensive for 3 seats for 9 days. Would like to hear some feed back on best option.

Thanks Kathy

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
24,356 posts
378 reviews
1. Re: Child booster seats

Wrong forum again I'm afraid. you need to post in the relevant destination forum - a link to the forum home page is below.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ForumHome

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,035 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: Child booster seats

Hi again Kate - certainly you can purchase car seats once here but in California it is illegal to take children that young even on a car ride to the store to purchase the car seats (on the other hand, the rental car company shuttle buses that take you from the airport to the rental location are large enough that car seats are not required). So, if you want to buy the car seats here, either you or your husband would have to pick up the car and drive to a store to purchase the car seats while the other person remains behind at the airport with your grandchildren. So there's no great solution to this since of course hauling car seats from Australia isn't very convenient either.

The only other thing I could suggest is that there are inflatable car seats out there like Bubblebum which should be much easier to transport that regular car seats, but I don't know if you can purchase these in Australia and they are only ok for larger children - I'm sure the 7-year olds would be fine but the 4-year old perhaps not.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
920 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Child booster seats

We always travel with our car seats, there is no charge to check them with your baggage. The only inconvenience is at the airport when you have to lug them around until you are in the car. With our older daughter (7 & 8 on trips so far) we have just packed the booster base. With our younger she had a full car seat when she was 4 and a booster when 5.

Renting with the car is far too expensive and having to buy once there is also pretty inconvenient. The only time I would consider doing that is if you have a bit of travel beforehand where you won't need the carseats and lugging them around for a few days would be annoying.

Australia
Level Contributor
800 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Child booster seats

Ours girls will be 8 and 10 when we travel. They are both small framed and still in car seats atm. Based on their ages will they need car seats?

We'll need to get from airport to hotel, be on tours and will also hire a car...

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,365 posts
72 reviews
5. Re: Child booster seats

Children who are 8 or older can use seat belts if they fit properly. IF the children are too short for seat belts to fit properly they should have booster seats.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,035 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: Child booster seats

Legally, no car seat required for any child over 8. Under 8, the child requires a car seat unless they are over 4'9" tall. Any child not in a car seat must be secured with the regular safety belts.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,365 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: Child booster seats

Here's the actual law:

…ca.gov/HealthInfo/injviosaf/Documents/boost…

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,776 posts
263 reviews
8. Re: Child booster seats

Please read the link provided in post #7. Car seats are a function of both age and the child's weight. It's all clear in the link.

Whether you decide to bring your own, rent, or purchase while here is a decision you'll need to make based on convenience and economics.

Australia
Level Contributor
800 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Child booster seats

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm thanks for that. The youngest is only 125cms now (4 foot) and my eldest is only 132cms (4 foot 3) so that equals double trouble for us. Soooooooooooooooo will we need them for all forms of vehicles? Buses, taxis, tour vehicles....hire cars?

Australia don't sell backless boosters anymore either so we can't bring our own of those.

Would appreciate any suggestions as to the best way to handle.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
172 reviews
10. Re: Child booster seats

It depends on the objective. To obey local law, your kids being eight and above will not need booster seats (the legal height exception kicks in only if they are under 8 but tall). To be comfotable and safe, your child needs to be tall enough for regular seat belts to fit.

The good news is that you can drive your kids legally to the store to pick up cheap boosters for safety and comfort if the regular seat brlts don't fit right.

Edited: March 19, 2015, 2:47 pm
Get answers to your questions about Los Angeles