We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Hokkaido Itinerary for Feb 2018

O S
Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Help with Hokkaido Itinerary for Feb 2018

Hi, I need your advice for my Hokkaido itinerary for Feb 2018. Not sure if we are missing best things to do :) We are just 2 persons and will be taking public transportation. We will be there around Feb 7-17.

1 (Feb7) W - SAPPORO

Arrival Chitose airport around 1800, go to Sapporo, checkin at Susukino, relax, eat and check out the ice sculptures

2 (Feb8) Th - SAPPORO

3 (Feb9) F - SAPPORO

Odori Park, Sapporo TV Tower, Susukino, Sapporo Beer Museum/Garden, Mt. Moiwa at night, ***Maybe Ski

4 (Feb10) Sa - SAPPORO/OTARU

Daytrip to Otaru

5 (Feb11) Su - SAPPORO/ASAHIKAWA

Take the earliest train, Asahiyama Zoo (View Penguin parade 1100), Ramen Village, Snow Festival at night

6 (Feb12) M - ASAHIKAWA

7 (Feb13) T - ASAHIKAWA/ABASHIRI

Take the earliest train, Take Aurora Drift Ice (1400)

8 (Feb14) W - ABASHIRI

Ryuhyu Monogatan Train Ride (945-1040/1633-1716)

9 (Feb15) Th - ABASHIRI

Tour: Smelt Fishing, Snowshoeing

10 (Feb16) F - ABASHIRI/SAPPORO

Free Day, Daytrip to a newby onsen?

11 (Feb17) Sa - DEPARTURE

I need advise on where we could ski. It will be our first time and I am not sure which would be the cheapest and okay one. I was thinking of Teine Ski Resort or even Kamui Ski Links in Asahikawa (Not sure if they have lessons). Overall it is a very light itinerary as we might be busy just checking out the winter festivals.

For the Drift Ice in Abashiri. I am not sure if the morning or afternoon viewing is better. Maybe I try both? hehe.

Thanks for your comments!

4 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,782 posts
190 reviews
1. Re: Help with Hokkaido Itinerary for Feb 2018

>>Odori Park, Sapporo TV Tower, Susukino, Sapporo Beer Museum/Garden, Mt. Moiwa at night, ***Maybe Ski

Skiing usually takes up at least one whole day. As this is your first time, better join ski classes or hire private coach to learn to avoid getting injured. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time and money.

>>10 (Feb16) F - ABASHIRI/SAPPORO

Free Day, Daytrip to a newby onsen?

Even by the fastest JR express train, it'd take more than 4 hours to return to Sapporo. Check out Jozankei onsen town which is nearest to Sapporo.

O S
Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Help with Hokkaido Itinerary for Feb 2018

Thanks DLi_hk!

I was actually thinking of postponing the Ski trip. Maybe I can just do this another time.

I will check out Jozankei onsen.

I also think I will push through staying in Utoro for the night just to really appreciate Shiretoko :)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,782 posts
190 reviews
3. Re: Help with Hokkaido Itinerary for Feb 2018

While Shiretoko NP is nice from June thru' Oct, I would not recommend it in deep winter when the national park is closed and the sea is frozen up. You may enjoy onsen and nice seafood in Utoro onsen town but these are also available in Abashiri.

Manila, Philippines
3 posts
4. Re: Help with Hokkaido Itinerary for Feb 2018

Hi! Will having a vacation this christmas and new year in sapporo. Can you share your actual itinerary? And some tips? Thanks a lot!!

Reply to: Help with Hokkaido Itinerary for Feb 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted