We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental companies near Asahikawa train station?

hong kong
Level Contributor
49 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental companies near Asahikawa train station?

Husband & I plan to take the train from Sapporo to Asahikawa on 16 July and rent a car in Asahikawa to drive to Hakodate.

We'd be grateful for any info/advice on which car-rental agencies are nearest the Asahikawa JR station (we're staying near the station) so we can book a car online before we arrive.

Also, is it necessary to buy Sapporo-Asahikawa train tickets in advance? Or can they be bought on the day of travel?

Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
Asahikawa
Asahikawa
Hokkaido, Japan
10 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental companies near Asahikawa train station?

There are quite a few car rental outlets in Asahikawa within walking distance from the rail station, but make sure they have outlets in both Asahikawa and Hakodate. BTW, note that if you pick it up in Asahikawa and return in Hakodate there will be an additional one-way drop-off charge for the rental car.

https://rent.toyota.co.jp/shop/detail.aspx… (Toyota)

nissan-rentacar.com/english/…shop19.html (Nissan)

https://www.nrgroup-global.com/en/branch.php… (Nippon)

www.timescar-rental.com/shop/detail… (Times Car)

ekiren.co.jp/annai/…asahikawa.html (JR Eki)

car.orix.co.jp/shops/… (Orix)

I don’t think you will encounter any difficulty buying the Sapporo-Asahikawa train ticket on the day of travel.

Mentioned in this post
Asahikawa
Asahikawa
Hokkaido, Japan
Hakodate
Hakodate
Hokkaido, Japan
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental companies near Asahikawa train station?

Asahikawa and Hakodate is probably 400km apart - check on Google Map. The extra drop-off fee would be hefty. Ask for quotations from your car rentals/brokers.

Mentioned in this post
Asahikawa
Asahikawa
Hokkaido, Japan
Hakodate
Hakodate
Hokkaido, Japan
hong kong
Level Contributor
49 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental companies near Asahikawa train station?

Thank you so much, Hokkaido experts! Thanks especially Williams512 for the links to rental agencies. Yes, drop-off fee will have to be the trade-off for not having to backtrack.

Maybe we can subtract a day of car rental and use the bus for a day trip to Asahidake ropeway. Would you happen to know whether summer queues will be long for the bus from Asahikawa station to Asahidake ropeway?

Mentioned in this post
Asahidake Ropeway
Asahidake Ropeway
152 Reviews
Higashikawa-cho, Japan
Asahikawa Station
Asahikawa Station
259 Reviews
Asahikawa, Japan
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental companies near Asahikawa train station?

I don’t think it would be a problem with the Asahikawa-Asahidake bus, but to be on the safe side make enquiry through the following email of the helpful Asahikawa Tourism Association.

info_2016@asahikawa-tourism.com

Mentioned in this post
Asahikawa
Asahikawa
Hokkaido, Japan
hong kong
Level Contributor
49 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental companies near Asahikawa train station?

Many thanks again, William512. What would this forum do without you :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental companies near Asahikawa train station?

Thank you for your compliment. Enjoy your Hokkaido vacation and come back to share your first-hand experience in the open forum.

I’m sure you are aware that your time of visit is good for the popular lavender in Hokkaido and that Farm Tomita and its sister farm Lavender East is on the itinerary. Another highly worthwhile destination (especially if you are driving) is the Kanayama-ko Shikagoe lavender garden which has a beautiful lake view serving as a backdrop.

…hokkaido.jp/sightseeing/flowers/

Mentioned in this post
Farm Tomita
Farm Tomita
1,121 Reviews
Nakafurano-cho, Japan
Auckland
Level Contributor
500 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental companies near Asahikawa train station?

Hi We have just returned from Hokkaido and used Eki, so easy to deal with and book, they also offer a discount if you also have a JR pass. We had the same dilemma and opted to just pick up the one way drop off rather than back track, not back tracking also saved us a day rental. We did the Ashadake Ropeway, no queues but there is still a lot of snow up there, we were there last week, just rented boots for 300Yen, the view was glorious and so worthwhile.

Agree with the other suggestion to include Farm Tomita, it was beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Farm Tomita
Farm Tomita
1,121 Reviews
Nakafurano-cho, Japan
hong kong
Level Contributor
49 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental companies near Asahikawa train station?

Thanks for the tips, William512 and AucklandShelly! Lavender fields are totally on our itinerary, with 2 nights in Furano. We won't have a JR Pass (only doing couple short train rides) to take advantage of the Eki discount so probably will go with Toyota car rental. We're so looking forward to the trip, me for the flowers & walks and husband for the seafood! Yes I'll be happy to post our experiences after we come home - first time us Japanese illiterates are driving in Japan and staying in Japanese-only homes, so it promises to be a comedy-of-errors, Google Translate kinda trip :D

Mentioned in this post
Furano
Furano
Hokkaido, Japan
Auckland
Level Contributor
500 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental companies near Asahikawa train station?

I found the driving really straightforward, 50k speed limit a bit frustrating but our tiny car wouldn't do much more than that anyway. We had a sat Nav that spoke English but we couldn't get the text in English so relied on map codes, they worked a treat. The language barrier was a potential issue for us but we managed fine, somehow we managed to communicate. People are so helpful that you mangage to get through, it's a fantastic country and I am sure you will love it.

hong kong
Level Contributor
49 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental companies near Asahikawa train station?

Many thanks for the reassurance, AucklandShelly. We'll have a tiny car too and I've been making a list of mapcodes - good to know they work! Yes, we've experienced the extraordinary kindness of the Japanese to strangers during a self-guided walk on the Nakasendo Way in a typhoon! Hoping for better weather this time.

Reply to: Car rental companies near Asahikawa train station?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted