We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do all safaris start from Hunuwilagama Entrance

Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Do all safaris start from Hunuwilagama Entrance

Hi, I currently have a few nights accommodation booked at the southern side of Wilpattu NP. in January 2019.

Im now a bit confused as to where the best location is to enter the park on Safari.

Im currently booked near the Eluwankulama southern road close to the Ocean.

I can cancel my booking at no cost.

Should I look for lodging closer to the main Park entrance or are their Safari Operators that work locally around here as well

thanks

Scott

12 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,252 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do all safaris start from Hunuwilagama Entrance

You are near one of the 2 main entrances, both offer equal wildlife chances and both have plenty of jeeps. Your entrance has the advantage it can be combined with a nice shore viewpoint; this and the park describer here.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29396…

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do all safaris start from Hunuwilagama Entrance

Thanks for that info. I really like the look of my chosen echo type Units and didn't really want to travel around the the eastern Entrance, just to start a safari.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,252 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do all safaris start from Hunuwilagama Entrance

Great. And do consider combining with a visit to Kudiramalai Point, same jeep brings you there.

E+S

Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do all safaris start from Hunuwilagama Entrance

I haven't researched the area in great detail yet, but I will google it - Thanks. Wilpattu will be the end of 22 days in Sri Lanka, before we fly out. It will be our 2nd time to SL, but this time with our teenage kids. We are also combining some of the things we liked from last visit 2015 and seeing some new things. We missed Wilpattu last time, hence the reason for this upcoming visit

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do all safaris start from Hunuwilagama Entrance

Kudiramalai Point noted - 40 klms from lodge - thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,252 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do all safaris start from Hunuwilagama Entrance

Yes and only accessible by 4WD and along same road as where you enter Wilpattu, hence on a Sunny day might make sense. Was (as a rare case for this list) not reported by a tourist but published in some SL travellers magazine.

<Erik>

Wirral, England
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do all safaris start from Hunuwilagama Entrance

This would also be of great interest to us, but are there any loo stops inside the park? At my age, It is something I always find worrying, but "rustic" is ok as long as a leopard does not find me behind a tree :)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,252 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do all safaris start from Hunuwilagama Entrance

Yes near the park bungalows, which are more of less within a fence and due to the smell of humans the leopards etc. never come close to there.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Wirral, England
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do all safaris start from Hunuwilagama Entrance

Great, thanks very much for that. Are the park bungalows fairly central, so they can be visited more than once? Having now read the article of day trips regards Wilpattu, I see it would be a very long time in the park, but from your article and our guide book, Wilpattu sounds a very good place to visit.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,252 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do all safaris start from Hunuwilagama Entrance

I guess so but I've never seen a map of their locations. The dwc site should be able to give some info, and maybe some of them are on Google Maps also ;-)

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Reply to: Do all safaris start from Hunuwilagama Entrance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wilpattu National Park