We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weird noise at Kolmanskop at sunrise

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
555 posts
56 reviews
38 helpful votes
Weird noise at Kolmanskop at sunrise
Save

Hello, I just returned from my trip to Namibia. Kolmanskop was one of the highlights. We were there with sunrise to take pictures. I chose to go to the Hospital building, as it provides great access to many rooms and patios. It was early morning, I was walking down the hall and over the sudden there was a loud repetitive noise.

First i thought that some sort of machinery got turned on. It reminded a short siren, but not exactly.

Later I figured out that the noise is much louder in one side of the building, so now I think it was some sort of animal.

I checked noises for hyena and jackal but it doesn't sound like it.

I'd love to find out what animal would make that noise. Maybe some sort of bird?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
24,681 posts
61 reviews
51 helpful votes
1. Re: Weird noise at Kolmanskop at sunrise
Save

How do we know what kind of sound have you heard?! It is like asking: I have seen an animal. Can you tell me what animal have I seen?!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
43,031 posts
533 reviews
502 helpful votes
2. Re: Weird noise at Kolmanskop at sunrise
Save

Can you send us a photo? LoL.

xelas is right.

In the absence of sea I can discount a Jackass Penguin but it could just be a wild Jackass. More likely a Barking Gecko!

Or the ghost of an old prospector.

Edited: 3 years ago
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
555 posts
56 reviews
38 helpful votes
3. Re: Weird noise at Kolmanskop at sunrise
Save

I was hoping destination experts could help to provide the list of animals that live in that area and capable of loud noises and then I was planning to find those sounds on youtube. That's the best plan I came up with :)

I'll go research barking gecko.

I'll report with the sound clip if I find the match :), but it was quite loud and scary sound! Want to know if I got scared for a a good reason or not (gecko would be not a good reason :))

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
555 posts
56 reviews
38 helpful votes
4. Re: Weird noise at Kolmanskop at sunrise
Save

No, it wasn't a barking gecko... the search goes on.

If I can find the list of birds or animals local to that area I'll be find researching on my own. :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
555 posts
56 reviews
38 helpful votes
5. Re: Weird noise at Kolmanskop at sunrise
Save

I tend to believe that was hyena, what I heard was quite close although not exactly to sounds you'll hear at 1:05 and 1:45 of this audio clip, but it lasted longer with the same sound repeating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k6uWaBtIA4

There was a sign about brown hyena in the area that visitors would need to report.

All I can say it was quite an experience to be alone at that hospital building with those sounds echoing :)

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
24,681 posts
61 reviews
51 helpful votes
6. Re: Weird noise at Kolmanskop at sunrise
Save

Indeed a unique experience even if you have not been lucky to see the origin of the sound itself.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
43,031 posts
533 reviews
502 helpful votes
7. Re: Weird noise at Kolmanskop at sunrise
Save

That recording is of the much larger Spotted Hyena a small population of which are believed to be resident around Luderitz.

auckland
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
23 reviews
24 helpful votes
8. Re: Weird noise at Kolmanskop at sunrise
Save

..... a list of 'birds and animals' ..... take it from

an elderly biologist......birds are most definitely animals!

Cheers

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
555 posts
56 reviews
38 helpful votes
9. Re: Weird noise at Kolmanskop at sunrise
Save

Thank you mfuwe

daintyfog, english is my not native language and in my language there are distinct words for birds and animals (although I'm aware birds belong to animals, sorry I missed and "other types of..."

The reason I mentioned birds is because I saw something moving on the roof, but it could be crow that were flying around, but I think the sound was coming from under the floors not from above, and crows wouldn't be able to produce this type of sound.

As a biologist can you point me to list of birds that can be found in that area that are capable of making sounds similar to what I referred to?

Glad to learn this question generated some sort of fun and excitement, I also had a lot of fun and excitement during my recent trip:)

1 post
1 review
10. Re: Weird noise at Kolmanskop at sunrise
Save

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA95zqwA4A8

Brown Hyena I reckon.

Get answers to your questions about Luderitz
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.