We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Luderitz

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
Driving to Luderitz
Save

Hi!

My friend and I are visiting Namibia for a few days in June. It's been on my bucket list to visit kolmanskop and I was wondering, is it possible to drive to Luderitz (from Windhoek) without having a 4x4 (as we've never driven one before)?

Thanks!

Jess

Edited: 4 years ago
3 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
24,681 posts
61 reviews
51 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving to Luderitz
Save

Yes, a tarred road all the way between Windhoek and Luderitz (B1 + B4). Yet even for C roads between Kalkrand and Aus you will not need a 4x4 type of car. Be aware that this is one long drive, and if not with 2 drivers, starting right at sunrise, it will be difficult to reach Luderitz before sunset.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
76 reviews
72 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving to Luderitz
Save

We've driven there in a Toyota Corolla without incident. It was part of a longer trip so we broke the journey.

Whilst there we also did a great trip with a local guide down into the Sperrgebiet (you couldn't go by yourself in those days...probably still can't...noy a job for a saloon car). Far quieter, obviously and I think I preferred the deserted houses. Bogenfels Arch was suitably impressive and we had a lovely walk along the beach closer to Luderitz towards sunset with the dolphins surfacing to see what was going on.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Driving to Luderitz
Save

Thanks! I'm looking at potentially getting a train now as the drive might be too long...not sure how r get from keetmanshoop to luderitz though!

Reply to: Driving to Luderitz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Luderitz
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.