We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking for late afternoon/early evening hiking?

Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
parking for late afternoon/early evening hiking?
Save

I will be in Sedona in July, and would like to hike Devil's Bridge Trail and to Cathedral Rocks, but I keep reading that one must arrive by 6:00 am to get a parking space and beat the heat. I will be going with my two teenage children, so it is unlikely that I will get them up and out the door in time for an early morning hike.

Is it possible instead to go in the late afternoon or early evening? Would there be parking available then?

I would appreciate any advice.

3 replies to this topic
Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
77,130 posts
224 reviews
228 helpful votes
1. Re: parking for late afternoon/early evening hiking?
Save

4PM will be the hottest time of day, but you won’t be alone. Parking will be whatever it is. Plan to use the Chuckwagon trail for DB. Expect to park far from Cathedral Rock TH, outside of Back O Beyond. Little Horse is a good alternate. It will add a little over a mile to your hike, but the last part is uphill.

Bring flashlights if you’re going to be out after sunset.

Edited: May 17, 2021, 10:49 am
Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: parking for late afternoon/early evening hiking?
Save

Red Rox,

Thanks for your advice and your expertise. You are right that a 4:00 pm hike would be miserably hot. Would it make sense to instead plan a 2-hour hike around Bell Rock, starting at 6:00 pm (still hot, but with the sun going down), finishing just after sunset (7:45 pm)?

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
77,130 posts
224 reviews
228 helpful votes
3. Re: parking for late afternoon/early evening hiking?
Save

Sunset won’t cool Bell Rock. And darkness can be treacherous

Reply to: parking for late afternoon/early evening hiking?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.