We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Sedona

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
Driving to Sedona
Save

Hello Everyone, We are flying into Phoenix this Sunday from the east coast and driving to Sedona. This is first trip out to this part of the country. We land at 1:30 pm. .My question is what is the best route to take? We have a lot of things planned through the week would it be doable to try to get in Jerome and Cottonwood that day? Thanks in advance.

9 replies to this topic
Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
9,967 posts
474 reviews
233 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving to Sedona
Save

Living in Phoenix area, I recommend that From the airport, you take

51 north to 101 West

101 west to I-17 North

I-17 north - 179 (Red Rock Scenic Byway) into Sedona.

Allow about 2 hours to make the drive barring unforeseen problems driving north on I17.

By the time you claim your luggage and rental car, it will be around 3pm putting you in rush hour traffic no matter which way you leave Phoenix area.

Edited: May 12, 2021, 2:53 am
Phoenix
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,967 posts
474 reviews
233 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving to Sedona
Save

Didn't see Sunday was your arrival day at first - good! No rush hour!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
26 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Driving to Sedona
Save

OP is talking Jerome too. I'd take 260 at Camp Verde to 89-A rather than AZ 179.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,967 posts
474 reviews
233 helpful votes
4. Re: Driving to Sedona
Save

After a long flight from Rehobath Beach, and then a 2 hr. drive north, I'd leave Jerome and Cottonwood for another day. Each of those locations is a very close drive from Sedona. That's why I ignored that part of the message.

Take the scenic introduction to Sedona (you will love it), check into your lodging, and enjoy Sedona.

The Black Hills...
Level Contributor
5,546 posts
5. Re: Driving to Sedona
Save

Definitely agree with LovemyAcura. After being in Jerome on a weekday a few days ago, I don't want to see it on a Sunday. Yikes!

Save it for another day when you're wide awake and refreshed. Visit Clarkdale as well when you're in the area.

https://www.thecrazytourist.com/15-best-things-to-do-in-clarkdale-az/

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
77,130 posts
224 reviews
228 helpful votes
6. Re: Driving to Sedona
Save

Skip Jerome on arrival day. Make haste to Sedona. Use 260 only if you’re staying in West Sedona. Otherwise exit I-17 onto 179 and enter through VOC

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Driving to Sedona
Save

Big thanks to everyone

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Driving to Sedona
Save

I usually take and recommend LoveMyAcura's route. I am frequently on the north section of the 101 as we have a home in Scottsdale. You may want to check the closures on 101 around 51. They have been completely shutting down (not just lane closures) some of the traffic for the whole weekend (Fri evening to Mon morning). There doesn't seem to be a pattern and sometimes it is different than what was on Adot (DOT website). The project never seems to end and just when you think they have finished a section, they re-appear!

If you want to avoid the risk of a detour, take 10W from the airport to 17.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
3,134 posts
39 reviews
17 helpful votes
9. Re: Driving to Sedona
Save

The weekend closures was my thought as well. I check the report every Thursday, but to be sure I check the live az511 traffic conditions before heading out anywhere. Here are the links for you:

https://azdot.gov/weekend-freeway-travel-advisory

https://az511.com/map

Reply to: Driving to Sedona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.