We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving route tomorrow

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
76 posts
98 reviews
56 helpful votes
Driving route tomorrow
Save

We are completing a 3 week Utah/Arizona trip of a lifetime. Tomorrow we leave Sedona, headed to LV to return car and catch 6 pm flight home. We drove down to Sedona from Flagstaff on 89A. Traffic was very slow and bumper to bumper. Would we be better off taking a different route to I-40? Using the Maps app I see a route, which is the other half of 89A, going through Chino Valley. Thoughts?

8 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
22 reviews
17 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving route tomorrow
Save

Going up 89a out of Sedona should be a lot faster than coming into Sedona. Take 89a to Flagstaff and I-40

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
17,496 posts
53 reviews
101 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving route tomorrow
Save

That's the route that we usually take from Las Vegas to Sedona, timing our arrival in Jerome to be at lunch time. It's nice driving over Mingus Mountain and Jerome is worth a quick visit. After you descend the mountain, this is an area where pronghorn antelope frequent.

That being said, I doubt that there will be excessive traffic on US89A to Flagstaff if you leave early in the morning and it's as nice a drive heading in that direction as in the other.

Seligman can be a nice stop for getting a quick fix for Route 66. Enter from the east, drive through town, and re-enter I-40 from the west. At the Colorado River there will be a pull-off to view Hoover Dam.

When returning the car, there are gas stations on all four corners on Las Vegas Blvd. just west of the rental car return center.

Oh, and if they still have the signs for speed limits being strictly enforced along I-40, believe them as there will be zero tolerance.

Edited: May 11, 2021, 1:22 am
Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
77,130 posts
224 reviews
228 helpful votes
3. Re: Driving route tomorrow
Save

89A via Oak Creek Canyon is best . Going the other way via Chino Valley will be slower. If you want to avoid that, choose 179 to I-17 north to I-40

The Black Hills...
Level Contributor
5,546 posts
4. Re: Driving route tomorrow
Save

We were just in that area last week and it took an hour to get up to and thru Jerome and out of Cottonwood. Jerome was a real zoo with people trying to find parking, blocking the road etc. Definitely take 89A north as most others here have suggested.

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
76 posts
98 reviews
56 helpful votes
5. Re: Driving route tomorrow
Save

Thank you, everyone!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Driving route tomorrow
Save

Good Morning, Arriving this Sunday from east coast into Phoenix and heading to hotel in Sedona. First time in

this area. We have rented a car what is the best route to take staying at Courtyard Marriott. We will be arriving at 1:30. What could be something to see or do once we check in to hotel. We have plans for the week but not sure what to do that first day. I am always afraid to plan to much the first day just in case of delays. One thing I have looked at was maybe going into Cottonwood or Jerome. Would that work at that time of day?Thank you in advance for any advise.

The Black Hills...
Level Contributor
5,546 posts
7. Re: Driving route tomorrow
Save

It might be best to start a new thread as this one has been answered and acknowledged.

Just click on the "Ask a Question" button below.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
26 reviews
11 helpful votes
8. Re: Driving route tomorrow
Save

I-17 to AZ 260 at Camp Verde. west to 89-A in Cottonwood.

BTW that Courtyard is IMO a pretty nice location.

Enjoy your trip

Reply to: Driving route tomorrow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.