We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Problems

Clio, Michigan
Level Contributor
234 posts
14 reviews
6 helpful votes
Car Rental Problems
Save

Has anyone encountered problems renting a car at a car rental company for their Sedona trip with the car was not available due to no inventory? We will be flying into Vegas end of September and spending a week in Sedona, Arizona. We have a car rented through Booking.com, Dollar Car Rental. I have received the confirmation. Online I have read some horror stories of the car rental companies being closed due to short supply of cars and/or no workers to work the counters. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this.

8 replies to this topic
Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
77,130 posts
224 reviews
228 helpful votes
1. Re: Car Rental Problems
Save

We strongly advise NOT to rent through third party brokers like Booking.com, Expedia, etc. You’ll have no recourse with Dollar Rentals if there are problems.

Labor shortage is a different problem than inventory shortage, but both have been common in this post covid economy.

Try to book directly with one of the major providers

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,837 posts
413 reviews
907 helpful votes
2. Re: Car Rental Problems
Save

I agree with RedRox, book direct with the rental car company. I use Expedia and other similar sites to compare prices, but always book direct with the specific provider. This won't guarantee that you won't have issues but at least you will be working directly with the provider.

10 posts
3. Re: Car Rental Problems
Save

This is my worst fear, no car when I arrive. Hopefully the situation will get better soon.

Clio, Michigan
Level Contributor
234 posts
14 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Car Rental Problems
Save

I have cancelled through Booking.Com and booked a car through Budget Car Rental directly. I'm hoping by September there will be plenty of vehicles and it won't be an issue.

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
77,130 posts
224 reviews
228 helpful votes
5. Re: Car Rental Problems
Save

Good decision

Asheville, North...
1 post
1 review
6. Re: Car Rental Problems
Save

We traveled to Phoenix mid April. We waited in line for 2 hours. Only one person working. Thrifty Rentals was a 7 hr wait in line!!!! Again, only one person working. Pack your patience and drive, if at all possible

Memphis
Level Contributor
342 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Car Rental Problems
Save

I just got back, rented through Avis, walked down to the preferred line. I was our the door in my Jeep in less that 5 minutes. Join the preferred rewards.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
85 posts
44 reviews
45 helpful votes
8. Re: Car Rental Problems
Save

I can't emphasize enough how much time being an Avis Preferred member has saved me over the years. Most places I can bypass the main rental counter and go straight to my car. I have travelled to PHX multiple times over the years and have never waited in the rental car line. I can get off the rental car shuttle and be at my car in less than 5 minutes.

Reply to: Car Rental Problems
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.