We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Sedona two day itinerary

Bridgeton, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Suggestions for Sedona two day itinerary
Save

My wife, two boys (13 and 11) and I will be making our first trip to Arizona this Easter weekend. We will fly into Tucson on Good Friday and leave there to come to Sedona the day after Easter and will be there for two nights before we move on to the Grand Canyon. We will arrive in Sedona around 2 since it is a three and half hour drive from Tucson.

Are there any must stops from Tucson to Sedona besides the Montezuma Castle?

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Oak Creek. So for the first afternoon I figured we try walking down the street a little to do a hike since it appears Bell Rock is close. Is this nice? Is there a certain trail we should do?

On our next and final day the only thing we have scheduled is A Day in the West Lil Rattler jeep tour at 5 pm. I'm hoping to see a nice sun set during the tour but is there a suggestion for one the day before? Everyone talks about the airport sunset but it sounds like it will be extremely crowded.

Other than that, are there any other suggestions? Would like to do another hike away from the Oak Creek area.

7 replies to this topic
Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
76,849 posts
225 reviews
228 helpful votes
1. Re: Suggestions for Sedona two day itinerary
Save

Sunset at Bell Rock is good for day one. Expect to arrive later than planned.

On day two I’d head for Red Rock Crossing.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
470 reviews
158 helpful votes
2. Re: Suggestions for Sedona two day itinerary
Save

I agree with Red Rock Crossing. Take a lunch with you and the boys will love hanging around the creek. When our grandsons were the ages of your boys it was their favorite place to go. Lots of picnic tables and two restrooms. The boys will love going to the creek and crossing to the center. There are large stepping stones to use if the water isn't too deep. There is a nice path from the main part of the creek thru a lightly wooded area and it then opens up again. This is where you get the iconic views of Cathedral Rock.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,820 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Suggestions for Sedona two day itinerary
Save

You kids are likely to find Walnut Canyon more interesting than Montezuma's Castle. At MC is still worth while but you are looking at the dwelling from the ground at a distance. At Walnut Canyon, you are able to walk by/thru dwellings. WC would be visited between Sedona and Grand Canyon (or GC and Phoenix/Tucson/next destination). WC is only slightly further off your route than MC will be (make sure to stay on 40 and not go through Flagstaff for the fastest routing).

Another possible stop between Tucson and Sedona would be Rooster Cogburns. Not a must do but a fun way to break up the drive.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
5,033 posts
78 reviews
74 helpful votes
4. Re: Suggestions for Sedona two day itinerary
Save

I completely agree with Bell Rock for your first afternoon. A 2pm arrival is good. Additional stops causing a much later arrival is not in your best interest. You will soon find that your time in Sedona is too short.

Montezumas Castle and Montezumas Well are both worthwhile stops. There is a vast difference between these two locations.

Walnut Canyon is also worthwhile but would be a stop on the way to Grand Canyon. Wupatki and Sunset Crater are also fine stops, but you probably don't have time for everything.

How much time do you have planned for GC?

Bridgeton, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
5. Re: Suggestions for Sedona two day itinerary
Save

CTDesign - We have just have Wednesday (the day we check out of out Sedona hotel) afternoon and Thursday during the day. We will be staying at El Tovar for one night. The plan there is the Rim Trail on Wednesday and going 1.5 miles down on the South Kaibab trail on Thursday after watching sunrise and having breakfast at El Tovar. Then we have to get starting working our way south (staying in Prescott on Thursday night and Chandler on Friday night) to get back to Tucson for our flight home on Saturday.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,820 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Suggestions for Sedona two day itinerary
Save

Make sure you check on the closures at Montezuma's Well to make sure it is still something you want to do before driving out there.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
5,033 posts
78 reviews
74 helpful votes
7. Re: Suggestions for Sedona two day itinerary
Save

Sunset at Bell Rock will be just fine. Sunset is about watching the colors on the mountains as the sun drops in the afternoon sky. It's not about watching the sun on the horizon. The same goes for Grand Canyon. You want to start observing sunset around two hours before true sunset.

I like early morning at the airport viewpoint half way up the airport mesa. You can walk the trails around the knoll as well as the east side of the airport mesa. You don't need to be out at the crack of dawn, since it takes a while for the sun to rise above the mountains to the east of the canyon. The morning sun is beautiful until 8:30-9:00.

You hzve a perfect amount of time allotted for GC. You can still spend some time in Sedona Wednesday morning, before heading to GC.

Reply to: Suggestions for Sedona two day itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.