We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Currency

Hi can anyone advise if it's best to take Turkish lira or sterling on holiday please?

Thanks in advance

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,667 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Currency

Hi

Take approx £50 of lira with you for the first day or so take the rest in Stirling and change in resort. Always a better rate out there

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Currency

Hi, agreed as above, just depends on when you are traveling as the rates fluctuate by the hour, but you will always get a better rate at the time of travel.

I took a bit of a gamble earlier in the year when the rates were sky high and managed to get 4.74tl to the £1 in the UK, as it stands I'm £100 better off for the monies changed vs today's exchange rate, but it could have gone the other way quite easily.

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
3,672 posts
136 reviews
3. Re: Currency

Good luck to you and well done; I believe you can currently get 4.4-4.5 to the £ ; so £100 better off, you changed up quite a bit; can you be my financial advisor please

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Currency

Long story short DCM, we had to cancel last years Turkey trip due to my wife's operation, so I had the money saved from last year and when the rates were good earlier in the year I decided to change at the time as I was confident that the rate would deliver good value for money for me and my family when we travelled.

Doesn't always work out, but we travel 2 weeks today, so currently £100 better off, but as we know in the world of currency exchange that could be eroded by then if anything changes.

LOL on the financial adviser....having said that to my family & friends I seem to be there travel agent as I always seem to be able to find a bargain.....so maybe time to branch out into currency exchange!

Cheers Adam

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
3,672 posts
136 reviews
5. Re: Currency

Fair play williams, trust your good lady ok now; I looked at rates beginning of year & yes they have dropped a lot - have a great holiday in 2 weeks time!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: Currency

Yeah, she's fine now....13 days and counting we will be just over an hour away from landing!

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
3,672 posts
136 reviews
7. Re: Currency

Once the £ settles down after the elections etc, am hoping the exchange rate will rise once more before September.

Morayshire
Level Contributor
70 posts
74 reviews
8. Re: Currency

Likewise I usually change about £50 at home and take the rest in sterling. There is plenty of shops and restaurants that will give you a good exchange rate if you look around.

Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Currency

Thank you all of your advice is much appreciated 👍🏽

Level Contributor
103 posts
21 reviews
10. Re: Currency

Hi I just change £100 into Turkish lira, i got 4.26 rate. I'll be doing the same and changing money when I'm over there. Can't wait!

Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz