We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covid tests at airport

2 posts
Covid tests at airport
Save

Are rapid test available at the cape Town airport prior to departure?

How does the process work..reservations?..walk up..where to find it?..

Thanks in advance.. traveling in May and June

8 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
254 posts
1. Re: Covid tests at airport
Save

I have the same question! I am flying out of Cape Town and was trying to figure out if I could get a rapid at the airport right before departure.

The research I am understanding (from the article below) is that the covid tests at the airport are for people arriving that they want to secondary screen? not sure they will test anyone that wants one for a departure.

Hoping I am wrong and hope someone can clarify

https://businesstech.co.za/news/business/468476/dis-chem-now-does-rapid-covid-testing-at-or-tambo-and-cape-town-international-airports/

seattle
Level Contributor
422 posts
350 reviews
241 helpful votes
2. Re: Covid tests at airport
Save

No such thing as a “rapid” test.

When do I need to get a test to travel to the US and what kind of test do I need?

Get tested no more than 3 days before your flight to the US departs. Make sure to be tested with a viral test (NAAT or antigen test) to determine if you are currently infected with COVID-19. Also make sure that you receive your results before your flight departs and have documentation of your results to show the airline.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

Getting tested right before the flight is, politely stated, unwise. If you are positive then you are subject to the conditions and expense of the government rather than being able to quarantine in a place that might be more suitable.

Edited: March 29, 2021, 10:23 pm
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
254 posts
3. Re: Covid tests at airport
Save

I agree with this part fully.

If you are positive then you are subject to the conditions and expense of the government rather than being able to quarantine in a place that might be more suitable.

However "rapid" tests certainly exist. I've had 3 myself here in the US....

I think the confusion is some people believe (and I have heard) that the US will accept a rapid antigen for citizens to return and I would rather get a rapid antigen at the airport before my flight since ill be there anyway instead of spending some time on my trip finding a test, waiting in line, stressing about results.... etc I have just accepted its now part of the cost of travelling.

Note I'm getting my vaccine Friday so I will be also fully vaccinated but I know that doesnt matter

seattle
Level Contributor
422 posts
350 reviews
241 helpful votes
4. Re: Covid tests at airport
Save

Rapid is incomplete or misleading as it now can be referenced regarding NAAT - PCR, LAMP, etc. Many agencies have dropped rapid terminology for this reason.

Knowing if it is an antigen or a test that actually detects virus (NAAT) is important.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
299 reviews
509 helpful votes
5. Re: Covid tests at airport
Save

Dr Seattle, I think what people mean by "rapid" are the tests that result in 15 minutes, such as Binax Now or Rapid ID. They're LAMP tests but that terminology is not often used in the USA. There are also "rapid" antigen tests which result faster than the RT-PCR tests. Any of those tests are valid for entry to the USA (the airlines are really not that picky) but to transit or land in South Africa one must have an RT-PCR test, which makes sense given how many false negative results are seen from LAMP and antigen tests.

I, for one, would avoid the rapid tests on return to the US due to their chance of false positives, which would open a huge can of worms regarding quarantine and delayed flights. Even vaccinated, the chance of infection with a variant or a false positive test is a real one - I'd go for the more valid PCR test for travel.

Alkmaar, The...
Level Contributor
40 posts
19 reviews
33 helpful votes
6. Re: Covid tests at airport
Save

According to KLM, the following test locations are available at CT airport:

Cape Town International Airport has 2 facilities (located landside) open until 11pm:

• Dischem, located on ground floor of the Central Terminal Building (CTB) in the corridor linking international arrivals to the CTB, closer to the foodcourt

• Airport clinic, located on the ground floor of the Central Terminal Building (CTB) in the corridor linking international arrivals to the CTB, closer to International arrivals, meet and greet area.

seattle
Level Contributor
422 posts
350 reviews
241 helpful votes
7. Re: Covid tests at airport
Save

The false positive rate for both the antigen and molecular tests are near to zero and are probably a result of contamination. The false negative rate with molecular are often associated with how long you have had the virus. The rate of false negative for the antigen is higher. While we don’t have precise statistics this information is supported by Harvard Health.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
5,848 posts
10 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: Covid tests at airport
Save

Also , contact you airline to ask which type of test they require to allow you to board. Also, check requirements for any transit airport you might be using .

Reply to: Covid tests at airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.