We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage restrictions on intra-Africa flights

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage restrictions on intra-Africa flights

We are going from Cape Town to Phinda, ZA (via Skukuza, ZA) and have gotten some conflicting info about luggage. We were told the weight allowance is 30 kg per person, and that luggage has to be soft-sided. The problem is we are also hearing that luggage can't have wheels. Is that true?? I can hardly imagine using luggage without wheels anymore - they barely even make it! Has anyone done these flights recently? How strict are they?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
8 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage restrictions on intra-Africa flights

Luggage allowances are generally 20, or 23 kg, checked, and 7 kg carry on.

Carriers like Federal Air, for example, who do flights into the bush airstrips, with small aircraft like the Cessna Caravan, and others, prefer luggage that is of the soft sided duffel bag type, with no frames, or wheels, as it makes the luggage much easier to stow in the smaller aircraft.

The bigger commercial carriers, landing at larger airports, with larger aircraft, will also have a weight restriction of 20 or 23 kg, etc, but do not usually stipulate soft sided luggage, as far as I know.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5,767 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage restrictions on intra-Africa flights

Skukuza is an odd way to reach Phinda unless you’re also staying in a Kruger lodge.

Yes. Soft sided means no wheels. Thousands of us do it every year so it’s definitely doable. The limit is 20kg (unless that’s changed) which is fine because the lodges do laundry so you don’t need much.

If you really don’t think you can handle a duffle bag with no wheels, just pack wheels. It works out well for me. Find a lightweight trolley and just pack it in your duffle.

https:/…

You can get around the very strict limits if you get a road transfer to Nelspruit and take the commercial flight to Durban and get another road transfer to Phinda. Or if from Cape Town, MUCH easier to fly direct to Durban and get an easy road transfer to Phinda. Honestly, going through Skukuza from Cape Town makes no sense!

I haven’t flown with checked luggage anywhere in the world in over a decade. Take less. It’s so much easier.

Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,279 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage restrictions on intra-Africa flights

We might offer some useful advice if you outline the flights you have booked. As noted, combining Phinda and Skukuza in the same query leaves some unanswered questions.

Level Contributor
1,350 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage restrictions on intra-Africa flights

I Purchased a soft sided duffel bag and backpack from REI exactly because of these restrictions. There are plenty of places you can buy soft sided luggage and duffel bags either online or locally.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
353 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage restrictions on intra-Africa flights

I've flown Fed Air many times with friends and we all had duffle bags with 2 wheels. Never once had any problem. Maybe because we had the entire plane reserved for just our group ??

Level Contributor
1,350 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage restrictions on intra-Africa flights

I was told specifically no wheels permitted.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage restrictions on intra-Africa flights

http://www.fedair.com/need-to-know/baggage/

Orange, California
Level Contributor
353 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage restrictions on intra-Africa flights

That confirms why we've been able to get away with having duffles with wheels on previous trips. In a month from now, there will be 10 of us (including 4 children) who have the plane privately reserved just for us.

Reply to: Luggage restrictions on intra-Africa flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central