We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JNB Flight Connections to Kruger

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
JNB Flight Connections to Kruger

Hi!

Going to Kruger late august/early september, and have already the majority of rest camps reserved and also the plane ticket to JNB. We're very excited!

Our flight arrives in JNB at 8:50am and I was looking at the 11:05am flight to Nelspruit. But then started wondering if the schedule is too tight (the next flight is only at 15:30, arriving at 16:15 at MQP - a half day "lost" and also too tight to get even to Berg-en-Dal, after sorting car, lens rental and buying a SIM card - is it available at the airport or only at he Malelane shopping?). My other option would be to get the flight to Skukuza, a bit more expensive, but at an intermediate time, 13:20. Would like to know what people used with OR Tambo airport, and its immigration and baggage retrieval, think. Is it really too tight the connecting time for the MQP flight?

Thank you very much!

Edited: June 12, 2018, 7:52 am
Mentioned in this post
Nelspruit
Nelspruit
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Berg-en-Dal
Berg-en-Dal
542 Reviews
Kruger National Park, South Africa
2 replies to this topic
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JNB Flight Connections to Kruger

9 AM Arrival and 11 AM departure doesnt sound too bad, unless your arrival is delayed. Given that skukuza is a better flight options as you end up right in the park.

JNB immigration and baggage retrieval can take about an hour plus.

Sim card can be pre-ordered for pick up at the Vodacom store just outside the arrivals.

You mentioend rest camps are booked. which is your first camp ?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JNB Flight Connections to Kruger

The first 2 nights are note yet booked because I'm still deciding about the flight and there are still a lot of bungalows available. But it would be either Berg-en-Dal + Skukuza or 2 nights in Skukuza. After that we managed to get a Hut at Lower Sabie (I'm checking to see if a bungalow becomes available) and the next night we booked at Biyamiti. Then on to Satara for 2 nights; 2 nights at Baobab Bridge on Klaserie, and one last night either at Talamati or Satara (this was because availability - very few options for our dates at the private reserves).

Is the Vodacom SIm card available at Nelspruit airport and Skukuza?

Edited: June 12, 2018, 1:18 pm
Mentioned in this post
Berg-en-Dal
Berg-en-Dal
542 Reviews
Sabie
Sabie
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Klaserie Private Game Reserve
Klaserie Private Game...