We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in a camp also, or do Cape Town etc?

Novato, California
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in a camp also, or do Cape Town etc?

Hello,

We have 7 nights at Makanyii in Timbavati, should we add on additional nights in a Kruger camp or explore Cape Town, other sights? ( 7 nights in Makanyi can’t be changed ) .

We have been to Kruger one other time, stayed outside Kruger Gate for three nights - so we’ve never stayed at a camp. Loved doing the self drive. We have never been to any other parts of Africa.

Thanks!

Edited: June 11, 2018, 11:19 pm
5 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,448 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in a camp also, or do Cape Town etc?

Too bad the 7 nights can’t be changed. Makanyi is very nice but I like to combine a private lodge and self drive in Kruger. Cape Town is a great city - if you’d like to visit, you can fly direct from HDS. If you prefer more safari, self drive in Kruger. S Africa is a big, beautiful, diverse country. Lots more than just Kruger and Cape Town.

You went to Africa for 3 nights, stayed outside Kruger for 3 nights and went home?

That’s not a welcoming avatar.

Novato, California
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in a camp also, or do Cape Town etc?

Cbir, I know! I need to change that Avatar. It is supposed to be lacrosse sticks, but either way its not a good one!

After the last trip with three days at Kruger we spent a week at Welgevonden. Combined games drives with day trips - which is what we will probably do from Makanyi.

Thanks! Dewey

Novato, California
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in a camp also, or do Cape Town etc?

What camps / route would you recommend if we wanted to end at Makanyi?

When we were there last we drove around the southern part of Kruger.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,448 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in a camp also, or do Cape Town etc?

Much better. No, it didn’t look anything like lacrosse sticks. My family is big into lacrosse!

How was that stay in Welgevonden? I like the Waterberg, it’s so pretty.

Makanyi will be a little different. They have a 3 hour drive in the morning then brunch. Then a game drive in the afternoon leaving around 4 pm depending on when you visit. It doesn’t leave a lot of time to visit other places, especially considering the location. And there’s not a lot nearby for day trips.

Makanyi is closest to the Orpen Gate. But check out is at 11 so you can reach any camps from Letaba to Lower Sabie. Most people prefer the camps in the south.

https:/…knp_map.jpg

https:/…KNP_distances_beween_camps.pdf

Novato, California
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in a camp also, or do Cape Town etc?

cbir,

We loved Welgevonden. It was more hilly then south Kruger. Loved the game drives, our guide, the chefs and everybody.

But our first days self driving at Kruger were magical. Even though I was the rookie that got too close to a herd of elephants moving our way. Was false charged by a giant bull in must. I panicked and couldn't get the car started. Literally thought, "I've killed my whole family" when he charged and stopped maybe 15 feet from our car. We stayed at the Protea hotel outside Kruger Gate. So we haven't stayed inside at a camp yet.

Makanyi looks to be pretty darn luxurious.

When we were at Welegovonden we visited local schools, our guides home, real neighborhoods. was fabulous.

Reply to: Stay in a camp also, or do Cape Town etc?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted