We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary

Hi,

We are flying to SA for 15 nights. Is it possible to fit in, from Cape Town, Franschhoek, Kruger, Victoria falls then Durban?

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Franschhoek
Franschhoek
11 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,224 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary

You can but you’ll spend much of your visit traveling and getting to know the airports.

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary

This is what I was thinking. But which should we drop off

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary

The plan was 3 night in Cape Town, 2 in Franschhoek, 4 in Kruger then either one of Durban or Victoria falls.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Franschhoek
Franschhoek
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,510 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary

I would drop Durban on this trip.

Kwa Zulu , where Durban is situated, is a whole new region for your to discover another time.

Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
61 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary

Hi,

I suggest you can drop Durban, rather spend that day in Victoria Falls(the Zimbabwean side would be quicker logistically in terms of flights) and do a day trip to Chobe National Park, from VF.

Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Matabeleland North Province, Zimbabwe
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,009 posts
617 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary

You can fly direct from Cape Town to Livingstone 4 times a week on Kenyan airways (Zambian side)

And Cape Town to Victoria Falls (Zimbabwean side) daily on SAA and 3 times a week on Kenyan Airways.

This would save you some transit time.

I too would drop Durban and save KZN for your next trip. I'm sure you will be back once you have the South African bug!

But with 15 nights, maybe the following

1 night JNB on arrival - unless you have an arrival and then you may be able to get a flight straight to the Kruger area, but you will probably be quite tired.

4 nights Kruger

5 nights Cape Town

2 nights Franschhoek

3 nights Victoria Falls - some will say 2 is enough, but if you want to do a day trip to Chobe, then 3 is better. I easily filled my 3 nights and would have liked a 4th night. I stayed down river on the Zambian side, away from the more hectic Livingstone.

You could spend more or less time in various places, depending on your interests.

This would minimise your flying times.

Some people like to save the safari for last, as they want to end on an animal high. For me personally, it has never really made any difference, where I fit it in my schedule, as all of South Africa is a highlight for me, even after 22 visits!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Livingstone
Livingstone
Southern Province, Zambia
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Durban
Durban
United States
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary

I hope you realize that Victoria Falls is spread between 2 countries, Zambia and Zimbabwe and it is not a part of South Africa, nor is it anywhere near Durban. It will require a flight and visas and depending on what country you're from, it might require a visa in advance.

Also just to point out, getting from Kruger to the Zambia side is quicker, not the Zimbabwe side. While it doesn't matter if you fly into the Zimbabwe side or the Zambia side from Johannesburg, (the flight time for both is just under 2 hours), only the Zambia flight flies nonstop from MQP (Kruger). The VFA flight goes through JNB. 1 day there makes no sense to me. By the time you fly to either side, you will have time to see the falls, maybe do a river cruise and then turn around the next morning and fly back out. Seems like an expensive day.

If it were me, I would drop a day from CapeTown/ Franschhoek and add 1 to Victoria Falls if you really want to go there.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Durban
Durban
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Johannesburg Intl Airport
Johannesburg Intl Airport
Johannesburg, South Africa
Franschhoek
Franschhoek
United States
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary

I was typing at the same time as Lisasplace but I agree with her 100%, 2 days for me is not enough in the Zambia/Zimbabwe area but for your schedule 2 is doable if you can't fit in more time.

Edited: June 22, 2018, 8:02 pm
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
61 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary

lisasplaces has given you some solid advice there!

If you are doing a day trip to Chobe, try and fly in and stay on the Zimbabwean side as most of the tours depart from there. There is a bridge being built on the other border crossing so the tour company will most likely not use that way. If you do end up staying on the Zambian side(its a lot more beautiful and peaceful, in my opinion), bear in mind that you will have to go back and forth across the border multiple times.

United States
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary

"If you do end up staying on the Zambian side(its a lot more beautiful and peaceful, in my opinion), bear in mind that you will have to go back and forth across the border multiple times"

Sarahtheblue why would they have to go across the border multiple times? For what purpose?

Reply to: Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park