We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-driving from Kruger to Mozambique - realistic?

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Self-driving from Kruger to Mozambique - realistic?

Hi there,

Me and my wife are planning a trip around Southern Africa, since we have a wedding to attend in Cape Town around December time.

We already have an idea of where we would like to visit, but we need some advice on how to travel between the countries.

Our itinerary is:

1. London to Johannesburg (flight)

2. Johannesburg to Kruger National Park (self-drive)

3. Kruger National Park to Mozambique (???)

4. Mozambique to Victoria Falls (flight)

5. Victoria Falls to Cape Town (flight)

6. Cape Town to London

My question is mainly around how we travel between Kruger and Mozambique?

We were hoping to continue on with our rental car from Johannesburg, but that doesn’t appear to be an option as we’d be crossing borders and I’m not sure we would be able to pick up a rental car in SA and drop off in Mozambique.

Is there a savvy way we can avoid the trip back to Johannesburg and flight over the Mozambique, since being in Kruger we will be so close to Mozambique?

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Matabeleland North Province, Zimbabwe
5 replies to this topic
1. Re: Self-driving from Kruger to Mozambique - realistic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: June 09, 2018, 1:23 pm

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self-driving from Kruger to Mozambique - realistic?

You’ll lose lots of travel days the way you’re trying to do it. Jnb to VF, direct flight lvi or vfa to Cape Town. Direct flight to Kruger.

What’s in Mozambique? The beaches in KwaZulu Natal are beautiful. Plus the area is great fun, lots to go. You can drive via Swaziland (eSwateni now) or fly nelspruit to Durban from Kruger. You can drive into Mozambique from KZN too. No, you can’t drop off a rental car in Mozambique. Then drive or fly to jnb from Durban or Richards Bay for a few days and fly home.

That sure is a lot of flights and driving on a short trip. Looks to me you’re trying to do too much.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
KwaZulu-Natal
KwaZulu-Natal
South Africa
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
geneva
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self-driving from Kruger to Mozambique - realistic?

I think you are trying to do too much and maybe Mozambique will require another trip.It is true that the beaches resemble the KwaZulu Natal beaches but that is where the comparison stops.

The atmosphere, the people, the food, the architecture are completely different.It has a definite Latin vibe due to the Portuguese colonial heritage.

Mentioned in this post
KwaZulu-Natal
KwaZulu-Natal
South Africa
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
137 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self-driving from Kruger to Mozambique - realistic?

You will also need to sort out a visa for Mozambique before leaving the UK.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Level Contributor
247 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self-driving from Kruger to Mozambique - realistic?

Hi, what you are trying to do is possible, but does not make much sensel to me. KZN Beaches are perfect and nice to visit as mentioned in previous posts. It would be the better option unless you really need to visit Mozambique on this trip. If you really want to stick with above plan, you can drop you rental at Komatipoort and either hire a ride to Mosambique from that place, or alternatively you can take your rental to Mosambique and then come back to SA - if you return your car at Nelspruit you should be allowed to do it by rental company plus you will have a direct flight to Livingstone from Mpumalanga Airport. Alternatively you can organize Mozambique part with SA agencies

Mentioned in this post
Nelspruit
Nelspruit
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Mpumalanga
Mpumalanga
South Africa
Reply to: Self-driving from Kruger to Mozambique - realistic?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted