We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covid Testing / The Latest from Hospital Metropolitano

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
90 reviews
77 helpful votes
Covid Testing / The Latest from Hospital Metropolitano
Save

An update was given to us directly from the clinic representative in Quepos yesterday on their pricing and testing. This is the information that we now provide to our guests staying in Tulemar.

Hospital Metropolitano / Quepos Clinic

PCR testing and antigen testing are both available. At the time of your actual appointment, if the rapid antigen test is available (due to limited supplies) then that option can be ordered. The PCR test is the “Gold Standard” of testing and has a slightly higher accuracy rate as compared to the antigen test. Some airlines do not accept the antigen test, so please check with your airline in advance.

Test results will be delivered to you directly via email within 24-36 hours for both tests. The results of either tests are final and absolute. You cannot retest or take the other type of test in hopes of getting a different result.

The cost is $55 per person for the antigen test and the PCR test is $115. Both will be paid directly to the medical professional at the time of testing by credit card. You can pay by cash, but you will also be charged 13% VAT.

Testing is done at the clinic at the Quepos marina and an appointment is required and a form filled out in advance.

Tulemar Dave

27 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
19,052 posts
70 reviews
182 helpful votes
1. Re: Covid Testing / The Latest from Hospital Metropolitano
Save

Just to clarify - the travellers will not know till the actual appointment visit whether the facility where they have booked their test, in advance, will actually have the rapid test, which seems to cancel out the two main attractive features of the rapid test option - a considerably lower price and a much faster test results turn around time? So, ppl in that area should continue to make test appointments as soon as possible within the 3days before their flight departure from CR, in case their "rapid test" will turn out not available, once they arrive for their rapid test appointment?

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
90 reviews
77 helpful votes
2. Re: Covid Testing / The Latest from Hospital Metropolitano
Save

The test turnaround time that they are offering at Hospital Metropolitano is the same for both tests......24-36 hours.......so no advantage there.......it is cheaper.....however......knowing the PCR test is more accurate.....and that you cannot have a "do over" if you test positive.......I would only recommend the PCR test.....and not take any chances......save the $$$ with the antigen test but possibly get a false positive and end up being required to quarantine for 10 days.....yikes.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,708 posts
75 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Covid Testing / The Latest from Hospital Metropolitano
Save

This is great information, but I much prefer the way things worked with Echandi labs and I highly recommend them. They don't have a site near MA, but there are plenty in the San Jose area.

You pay and commit to the testing from home, with easy online booking. I paid $55 for the rapid test with my credit card. Multiple messages went back and forth. The process was seamless. we received an e mail with our results three hours after testing.

I would assume that their process for the regular testing is similar, but because the sample is possibly sent off-site, delays may be more common.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
90 reviews
77 helpful votes
4. Re: Covid Testing / The Latest from Hospital Metropolitano
Save

There are many, many options in the San Jose area, if you have the time and the ability to go there, however, things are changing often with most of the labs in Costa Rica, so what may have been available in the past, may not be today or next week. You need to check often.

Tulemar Dave

1 post
2 reviews
5. Re: Covid Testing / The Latest from Hospital Metropolitano
Save

We used the facility in Quepos for a test last week. I scheduled it before we left via calling and then I completed an application for each person online and I wrote down the code provided. I needed that code and out passports upon arrival for our tests. We did not get asked about the test type and based on the cost it was the PCR. The test was completed in a different office at the marina location. It was not as invasive of the nasal test as done in the us. They swabbed inside our mouth and then the inside of the nostril. Results came back within 24 hours via email, all negative thankfully. The interesting part is that on departure we were never asked to provide the results. We completed a form for each person indicating we didn’t have symptoms and had a negative test. That was required by the American Airlines agent at the San Jose airport. That was the only time we were asked for anything either before departure or upon arrival in the states.

Elkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Covid Testing / The Latest from Hospital Metropolitano
Save

How do you schedule an appointment? Is there any way to do it online?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,708 posts
75 reviews
15 helpful votes
7. Re: Covid Testing / The Latest from Hospital Metropolitano
Save

This report from the 21st is very odd. We flew home from LIR with American on the same date. Ticket agents were carefully examining everyone's test results.

Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
377 posts
476 reviews
184 helpful votes
8. Re: Covid Testing / The Latest from Hospital Metropolitano
Save

I do get that the pcr test is more accurate but my family that will be traveling is fully vaccinated so i would opt for the cheaper test as the risk are very low. do you have any information on the required insurance. The one site wants me to put in all my passport info to just get a quote and I don't want to book a trip if it is super expensive .

-Colleen

Edited: April 04, 2021, 9:21 am
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,708 posts
75 reviews
15 helpful votes
9. Re: Covid Testing / The Latest from Hospital Metropolitano
Save

I remember it being easy to get an insurance quote on the Trawick site. We found the policies to be inexpensive, Paying about $75 for two mature adults for ten days. You can get the minimum cost with a trip value up to $500 pp.

Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
377 posts
476 reviews
184 helpful votes
10. Re: Covid Testing / The Latest from Hospital Metropolitano
Save

Ok thanks , I just know CR requires certain limits not just the normal travel insurance now with covid

Reply to: Covid Testing / The Latest from Hospital Metropolitano
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.