We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zika Concerns

Lakewood, Washington
Level Contributor
251 posts
16 reviews
14 helpful votes
Zika Concerns
Save

My daughter and her husband are trying to have children and are considering taking a trip to Costa Rica (Manuel Antonio) next December. The one thing holding them back is their concern about the Zika Virus. Does anyone know if that can be a concern in this part of Costa Rica?? Honest opinions only please!

5 replies to this topic
Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
90 reviews
77 helpful votes
1. Re: Zika Concerns
Save

I live here and have not heard zika mentioned for at least 1-2 years......by local media or travelers......it is just not an issue......I would think you should do a general internet search for more information.

Tulemar Dave

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
19,066 posts
70 reviews
182 helpful votes
2. Re: Zika Concerns
Save

Robert, Check out https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/zika-information , https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices#risklevels , and your daughter might want talk to her healthcare professional. It seems that no one will 100% guarantee that she will not get a mosquito bite and what that bite might entail. (Is it Zika or the international travel during the Covid pandemic that worry them more?) Edit: have just re-read your post. Zika is the one thing.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,708 posts
75 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Zika Concerns
Save

The same thing can be said about risks in Florida and many other places for the distant future. My suggestion would be to plan the trip and as the time gets closer, if the situation changes, they can always back out.

It's always best, Zika or not, to find accommodations with lenient payment policies. We rarely have to financially commit until a few weeks before travel. Trip insurance is another layer of protection.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
27 reviews
13 helpful votes
4. Re: Zika Concerns
Save

During 2021 only 12 people who have become ill with Zika are reported, while by the same period last year the figure was 30.

This is from Teletica.com.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
64,987 posts
140 reviews
45 helpful votes
5. Re: Zika Concerns
Save

Nobody can guarantee 100% that Zica is not there...but agree with some locals that the cses are low...

I will ask a local DR...hard for a Dr outside of Costa Rica since of course they know about ZICA but they have no idea about Costa Rica

roadadvisor

Reply to: Zika Concerns
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.