We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Playas del Coco: Any Questions?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
524 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
Back from Playas del Coco: Any Questions?
Save

We just returned from a fantastic trip to Costa Rica. Stayed in Playas del Coco the entire week we were there. Did some traveling to Ocotal Beach.

I will post a trip report, but meanwhile, I can try and answer questions if anyone has any.

BTW, a BIG THANKS to all the folks on this forum for helping me plan and execute my trip.

VanRags

37 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
19,422 posts
70 reviews
182 helpful votes
1. Re: Back from Playas del Coco: Any Questions?
Save

Glad you had a fantastic trip.

Looking forward to your reviews.

Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Back from Playas del Coco: Any Questions?
Save

How are the waves? Are beaches suitable for toddlers and kids under 7?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
524 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Back from Playas del Coco: Any Questions?
Save

The waves are not very strong. Coco beach is very flat and is safe for toddlers. Ocotal Beach is better for families (Coco beach is very commercial and always crowded). Ocotal beach has a slight drop right near the shoreline so be ready for that! Not too much just a little!

Loved both the beaches though we spent more time on Ocotal because of the crowd at Coco. Ocotal has one good restaurant Father Roosters, Coco has a lot more, and also some Sodas.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

VanRags

Southeast Kansas
Level Contributor
24 posts
32 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Back from Playas del Coco: Any Questions?
Save

We are renting a car and I am paranoid about parking in Playas del Coco. If we park for a few hours and wander I don't want to return to a missing car or ticket . Any thoughts or tips on where/how to park for the beach will be appreciated too. Thank you in advance.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
524 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Back from Playas del Coco: Any Questions?
Save

The area around the beach is super-crowded and there is no chance of any car going missing. I rented a golf cart and basically parked wherever there was space. I could see cars driving around the block to find parking near the beach.

Also, there are "watchers" in yellow jackets who will help you get a spot and "watch" your vehicle for a couple of $s.

Depending on where you are staying, you might not even need a car to go to the beach. It is a fairly small place.

Thanks

VanRags

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
33 reviews
122 helpful votes
6. Re: Back from Playas del Coco: Any Questions?
Save

We are heading down in February, our group was discussing bringing USD or Colons or a bit of both for restaurants, shopping etc. Your thoughts?

The other question was taxis, we are staying close to town but may need some transportation?

Edited: 1 year ago
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
524 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Back from Playas del Coco: Any Questions?
Save

Hello Mitter71,

We carried some USDs as we had agreed to pay for the condo and some tours in USD. Once is Cocos, I used my ATM card to withdraw 100,000 Colones (FEES: 1500 Colones by Scotia Bank, and $5.00 by Bank of America) that I used to groceries, SIM, etc. Used credit card (make sure there is no FE conversion fee) for dinner and other places (including Auto Mercado) where credit cards are accepted. I asked them to charge in Colones and not convert to Dollars and charge.

During my stay, I saw taxis but always occupied. I have read about a taxi stand near Auto Mercado (just outside Pacifico) but never saw a taxis available there. We rented golf carts for local travel (Cocos Beach, restaurants, Ocotal Beach).

Please let me know if you have any more questions. I see you are from Kitchener. I used to have visited Kitchener many times, had family there.

Thanks

VanRags

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
33 reviews
122 helpful votes
8. Re: Back from Playas del Coco: Any Questions?
Save

Thanks for the update. Small world. So outside of tours, you really do not need to bring USD, you can use Colons.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
524 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Back from Playas del Coco: Any Questions?
Save

We used Colones everywhere, and credit cards. Found that Citron is the only restaurant that had USD only prices (Maybe they have another menu we were not given), but all restaurants have prices in Colones. Besides, I would not recommend Citron, a over-hyped American style restaurant. Good service, but the food was a disappointment.

Carry some USD as safety, and also the ATM card. Banco National will not give you USD from the ATM, but Scotia Bank (inside Super Compro) will give you up to $400.00 per day.

Thanks

VanRags

Downs, Kansas
Level Contributor
105 posts
40 reviews
11 helpful votes
10. Re: Back from Playas del Coco: Any Questions?
Save

No problem parking in Coco. Just don't leave any valuables in vehicle.

Reply to: Back from Playas del Coco: Any Questions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playas del Coco
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.