We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin in Jan

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Westin in Jan
Save

Hi all,

Planning to visit Jan 26-31. Debating between the Westin Playa Conchal or Nayara Springs in Fortuna. Really just having trouble deciding between the 2 very different atmospheres—we only have 5 days so we can’t split our time. The main draw for the Westin is the beach.

Does the Westin have beach service or beach loungers available to use?

Are there any restaurants or shops within walking distance from the Westin?

Are there excursions from the Westin that would allow us to do some adventure/nature hikes/waterfalls/etc?

9 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
19,422 posts
70 reviews
182 helpful votes
1. Re: Westin in Jan
Save

I would read https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowTopic-g309242-i1812-k12239098-Beach_chairs_provided_by_Westin-Playa_Conchal_Province_of_Guanacaste.html and contact the resort directly re the beach chairs situation. I would also read "Things to know..." - https://mytanfeet.com/costa-rica-beach-information/playa-conchal-shells-instead-of-sand/ about this popular beach at the time of your travel.

United States
Level Contributor
342 posts
2. Re: Westin in Jan
Save

The things that are important to you at the Westin frankly you can get anywhere in the world. Arenal Springs is unique Most split stays between the two areas but with 5 days (assume that is 5 nights) not really possible. Do keep in mind that in Arenal you will not usually have totally sun filled days...much more sun at the coast. If you can get 2 more days then by all means split the stay. You can do day trips for adventure etc. but depending where the drives can be long.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Westin in Jan
Save

Thank you!!

United States
Level Contributor
342 posts
4. Re: Westin in Jan
Save

Good luck...I do understand the allure of sun and sand coming from a northern state myself...we hit some not so sunny and pleasant weather at Arenal (the norm) and were more than ready to head to the coast!! But as I said the balance is perfect but would never fly that far for a beach when the Caribbean is an option or even WEst coast of Florida.

Edited: May 11, 2021, 9:44 pm
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
19,422 posts
70 reviews
182 helpful votes
5. Re: Westin in Jan
Save

I understand the OP has also been posting on different forums, considering other countries in January. Not sure if Mexico, Punta Cana/ DR, and Florida are instead of CR or in addition to it.

United States
Level Contributor
342 posts
6. Re: Westin in Jan
Save

Clearly they have not nailed down a destination and are getting opinions on many. Personally I would wait to book anything for Jan. to let airline schedules sort out etc. I think at one time OP was interesting in AI and pretty much got the opinion that it is not a big market in CR.

Toronto
Level Contributor
299 posts
43 reviews
37 helpful votes
7. Re: Westin in Jan
Save

We stayed at Westin in Play Conchal 2 years ago and absolutely LOVED it! Did not have the highest expectations as it was all inclusive and we all know food at those types of resorts can be sub-par. I can tell you the food was amazing! Service was the best we've ever received at a resort. During our stay we met lots of Americans and they all had the same opinion. You cannot go wrong staying here- the beach is beautiful- lots of tumbled shells that are music to your ears when the water rushes over. From this location we went on lots of excursions- snorkelling, horseback riding and zip lining, surfing, etc., so lots of day trips from here. We booked through a fellow named Eric Garcia that we met on the beach (I read about him on Trip Advisor prior to our trip) and I highly recommend booking through the locals as you get private tours or small group tours (vs big bus excursions). Not sure, with covid, how excursions are even done now, but this is how it was prior. I'm just back to the boards looking into trip options for next January and saw your Westin question so wanted to share our experience. Good luck!

Denver, Colorado
1 post
1 review
8. Re: Westin in Jan
Save

hello thanks fo this post. I am at the westin in august be cannot figure out what excursions to book ahead of time. I don't want to sit in a van ride for 4 hours to go anywhere- im okay with closer events. how do I find a contact...thank you!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
65,616 posts
140 reviews
45 helpful votes
9. Re: Westin in Jan
Save

From Westin one of the great tours is a visit to Rincon de la Vieja Volcano----you do not have to book ahead of time and do not pay anything in advance.

About 2 hours drive from Wwestin to Rincon de la Vieja...cehck Hotel HAcienda Guachipelin...the hotel is by the volcano...and they offer a great number of soft adventure tours.

Check https://www.guachipelin.com/

roadadvisor

Reply to: Westin in Jan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa Conchal
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.