We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking to book in San Juanillo

Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
looking to book in San Juanillo
Save

Hi. We are looking ahead to next winter to book in Costa Rica. Previously we stayed a month in Samara and really enjoyed it. This time we are looking in the San Juanillo area, just north of Nosara. We have a few questions, hoping someone can help.

Is there a bank or bank machine in San Juanillo or do we need to go to Nosara ?

What is the easiest way to get to Nosara for a day trip, evening out ? Is there taxi service available or bus service ?

Is there a pharmacy in town if needed ?

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
65,616 posts
140 reviews
45 helpful votes
1. Re: looking to book in San Juanillo
Save

No banks sorry...no ATM sorry...but is one of the best beaches around.

Not taxi service. ( of course taxi service to drive you there but not taxis around ).maybe nice to pre arrange some body to pick you up there...you can get to San Juanillo by Tamarindo or Nosara...

Better to have a 4x4.. if you rent a c ar

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
19,422 posts
70 reviews
182 helpful votes
2. Re: looking to book in San Juanillo
Save

grey haired wanderers, Are you sure you want to stay there for a long time, without renting a high clearance car? In comparison, Samara is different, and, as you know, it's one of the walkable areas for ppl considering staying somewhere without necessarily renting a car. See https://mytanfeet.com/costa-rica-beach-information/playa-san-juanillo/ . It has Apr. 2021 info and 2 short videos, though both show the San Juanillo beach only at high tide.

Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: looking to book in San Juanillo
Save

Thanks for your replies Roadadvisor and SubjectivelyObjectiv. We are looking for a very laid back trip away from the cold Canadian winter. San Juanillo appears to fit the bill and be quite walkable as well. Don't do a lot of excursions and would book a tour to do those. The cost to rent a 4x4 for a month would be much higher than getting transport into and out of San Juanillo. We don't mind taking local buses or a taxi to get into Nosara for a day trip or change of evening meal. Wondering if we could book a taxi from Nosara to pick us up and return us home later. No ATM in town will change the way we carry money, no problem. We had read and viewed the my tan feet, but they talk only about the beach with just a mention of the "small" town.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
19,422 posts
70 reviews
182 helpful votes
4. Re: looking to book in San Juanillo
Save

@3, "The cost to rent a 4x4 for a month would be much higher than getting transport into and out of San Juanillo.": Yes, I know that car rentals and insurance in CR won't be inexpensive. When I previously inquired if you wanted to stay there without a car, I meant, have you considered other places where staying without a car is easier...like Samara, where, as you know, the area is more walkable.

It is usually not recommended to travel or walk around with large amounts of cash.

I would try to contact your accommodations for the current info on taxis/local transportation.

Reply to: looking to book in San Juanillo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Province of Guanacaste
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.